[comp.unix.questions] UNIX to IBM VM/CMS File Transfers ???

dymm@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) (09/22/88)

Help!!!!!!!!!

I am trying to transfer files ("C" source code) between
UNIX (Sun, BSD 4.2) and an IBM system running  VM/CMS.

Question #1:

I am looking for a UNIX utility that can create IBM format
tapes on my UNIX system.
With this utility, I can load the tape onto the IBM system,
and read the tape directly into VM/CMS without having to
worry about translation of special characters.
This means that the UNIX utility must create IBM "labeled"
tapes with variable length records in EBCDIC, and be able
to directly translate ASCII files to EBCDIC when writing them
to the tape.  In this way, the process of moving files from UNIX
to IBMd would be transparent.

Does anyone know of such a UNIX utility????
(Don't care about cost.....)

Question #2:

The connection between the UNIX and IBM systems is through a dial
up line at 2,400 baud.
What is the best communication package to use in transfering files
between the UNIX and IBM VM/CMS systems?
Is there a version of kermit for VM/CMS that can talk with UNIX?

Appreciate any help in this matter.  Thanks....

David Dymm			Software Engineer

                            *************************************
                            *  Violence is the last refuge of   *
                            *  the incompetent.                 *
                            *                      Hardin       *
                            *************************************

USMAIL: Bell Atlantic Knowledge Systems,
        145 Fayette Street, Morgantown, WV 26505
PHONE:	304 291-9898 (8:30-4:30 EST)
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore, cadre,idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsb!dymm
INTERNET: dymm@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) (10/04/88)

In article <60@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, dymm@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) writes:

> I am looking for a UNIX utility that can create IBM format
> tapes on my UNIX system.
> With this utility, I can load the tape onto the IBM system,
> and read the tape directly into VM/CMS without having to
> worry about translation of special characters.
> This means that the UNIX utility must create IBM "labeled"
> tapes with variable length records in EBCDIC, and be able
> to directly translate ASCII files to EBCDIC when writing them
> to the tape.  In this way, the process of moving files from UNIX
> to IBMd would be transparent.
|
| Does anyone know of such a UNIX utility????
| (Don't care about cost.....)

There is a collection of functions and utilities called "tape-tools"
in the AT&T Toolchest.  The package is mostly intended to go the other
direction - simplify Unix System access to IBM tapes, but it also has
a (ksh) shell script that writes IBM labeled tapes using dd.  If you
know what IBM labels look like, you can build a credible replica of the
script by making ASCII `here' documents that look like header and trailer
labels and processing them with dd.
--
Griff Smith	AT&T (Bell Laboratories), Murray Hill
Phone:		1-201-582-7736

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (10/05/88)

In article <60@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> dymm@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) writes:
>The connection between the UNIX and IBM systems is through a dial
>up line at 2,400 baud.
>What is the best communication package to use in transfering files
>between the UNIX and IBM VM/CMS systems?
>Is there a version of kermit for VM/CMS that can talk with UNIX?

Yes, there is a VM kermit and it works nicely with the unix version if
you use the appropriate "set" commands to accomodate the half duplex
nature of the connection.  I use a combination of unix shell scripts,
kermit 'take' files, CMS exec files and filename conventions for a crude
but working automatic file transfer mechanism.  Now, if I could find a
file based PROFS mail interface...

Les Mikesell

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (10/05/88)

Of course mail works, so does FTP if you put TCP/IP on your
IBM system.

-Ron

mike@pcsbst.UUCP (Mike Schroeder) (10/10/88)

In article <10690@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> ggs@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Griff Smith) writes:
>In article <60@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, dymm@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) writes:
>|
>> I am looking for a UNIX utility that can create IBM format
>> tapes on my UNIX system.

[you know the rest ;-)]

>There is a collection of functions and utilities called "tape-tools"
>in the AT&T Toolchest.  The package is mostly intended to go the other

[see above ;-)]

I had a similar problem a while ago and was pointed to a package
called 'mag' written by Dick Grune, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam.
If you can't get anything else, let me know, I'll mail it to you.
Compressed, it's about 260K.

Cheers
Mike Schroeder
SNAIL: PCS GmbH; Pfaelzer-Wald-Str. 36; D-8000 Muenchen 90; W. Germany
UUCP:  msc@pcsbst.uucp   or  ...uunet!unido!pcsbst!cochise!mike
VOICE: xx49-89-68004208

iwm@asun3.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) (10/12/88)

>I am trying to transfer files ("C" source code) between
>UNIX (Sun, BSD 4.2) and an IBM system running  VM/CMS.
Question #1:
>I am looking for a UNIX utility that can create IBM format
>tapes on my UNIX system.

A program called cmstape which will do this posted to comp.sources.unix
a while back. Most VM/CMS sites have utilities for reading OS tapes
(only IBM could produce three different tape formats for the same machine!);
if you write tapes using something like
   dd  ... obs=800 cbs=80 conv=block,ibm ...
and read them with
    LRECL 80 RECFM FB
this might work, although you will lose file names.

dwork@amdcad.AMD.COM (Jeff Dwork) (10/13/88)

>In article <60@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, dymm@b.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Dymm) writes:
>|
> I am looking for a UNIX utility that can create IBM format
> tapes on my UNIX system.
>
>[etc]

This is not exactly un*x but it may be useful at times.

You can read ANY tape on VM/CMS if it has physical records that are
<= 32760 bytes. Use the following:

	Mount the tape unlabeled as 181.

	FILEDEF IN TAP1 (RECFM U LRECL 32760 BLOCK 32760
	FILEDEF OUT DISK foo bar a (RECFM U LRECL 32760 BLOCK 32760
	MOVEFILE IN OUT

This will result in a CMS V-format file with the data from the first file
on the tape. Each line of the file is a physical record from the tape.
Repeat the filedef of OUT and the MOVEFILE command to read subsequent files.
The COPY command does a good job of character conversion. You will need to
write a program to look for end-of-lines and rewrite your file.

It's not the cleanest solution, but it's cheap.