[net.cooks] apple cider

bandy@lll-crg.UUCP (Andrew Scott Beals) (09/27/85)

Fresh apple cider may be nice, but I think it's best when it has sat
around for a few weeks - ah, what a way to start your morning...
--
Got a gal in Baltimore, li'l Liza Jane, She's the one that I adore,
li'l Liza Jane.

andy beals, bandy@lll-crg.arpa, {seismo,sun,gymble,mordor,dual}!lll-crg!bandy

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor Smedley) (09/29/85)

Does anybody out there have any idea how to make apple cider? Either
the alcoholic or the non-alcoholic type.

Trevor J. Smedley

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (09/30/85)

We used to make apple cider by simply taking un-pasturized plain old apple
juice straight from the press and letting it sit outside (if the weather is
crisp and cool) for 1-2 weeks.  The longer it sits (to a point) the better
it gets.  If you let it sit too long (we never had that problem) it will
turn to vinegar so don't hoard it.

Note--we only called fermented apple juice (hence at least some alcohol
content) apple cider.  I still don't know what the difference between
apple cider and apple juice is at Safeway.

You can distill apple cider--then you have apple jack.  You may also have
problems with the law!  Try substituting apple jack for the cider in hot
spiced cider.  Don't plan on driving for at least 4 hours afterwards!

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!drutx!eac

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (10/03/85)

>Does anybody out there have any idea how to make apple cider? Either
>the alcoholic or the non-alcoholic type.

Non-alchoholic:

	Crush apples.  Drink.

Alchoholic:

	Crush apples.  Store juice in a jar covered with gauze or
	cheesecloth for a week.  Drink.

On a somewhat more serious note, the term "apple cider" has differing
regional meanings.  In the Boston area, it refers to unfiltered apple
juice.  The fermented stuff is called applejack, and is usually
filtered.  In California, cider usually means fermented (alchoholic)
juice, either filtered or not.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (10/03/85)

> Note--we only called fermented apple juice (hence at least some alcohol
> content) apple cider.  I still don't know what the difference between
> apple cider and apple juice is at Safeway.
> Betsy Cvetic

There is no difference.  The labeling laws in the US consider apple juice
and apple cider to be the same thing: pure apple juice, with no additives
(except that vitamin C is allowed).  However, some manufacturers make a
distinction in their own products; Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Juice has
less carbonation than their Sparkling Apple Cider.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

dws@tolerant.UUCP (Dave W. Smith) (10/03/85)

If you can find 1 gallon jugs of *unfiltered* apple juice in your local
market this autumn, converting same to a truly deadly party drink is fairly
easy.  You'll need some champagne yeast and an air lock with a number 6
stopper.  Don't use ordinary yeast, it leaves a nasty taste.  A "brew your
own beer/wine" store should be able to fix you up.

Fermentation is straightforward.  Pull the cap off of the apple juice,
pour in half a packet of yeast (~3 grams), replace the cap with the air
lock, and let sit for 5-7 days, or until most of the activity has subsided.
(After watching it ferment for a few days, you'll know when it's subsided!)
Chill, and consume in moderation.  If you try to drink any while it's still
fermenting madly, you're asking for a case of the runs.

--
  David W. Smith                 {nsc,ucbvax}!tolerant!dws
  Tolerant Systems, Inc.

pwd@pid.UUCP (Philip W. Dalrymple) (10/04/85)

In article <53@drutx.UUCP> eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) writes:

>You can distill apple cider--then you have apple jack.  You may also have
>problems with the law!  Try substituting apple jack for the cider in hot
>spiced cider.  Don't plan on driving for at least 4 hours afterwards!

Apple jack is hard cider which has the water frozen out of it rather than
apple brandy which is what we called distilled cider both are good but very
different.  If you have never tryed hard cider from a frozen keg.  You have
missed something.

--
Philip Dalrymple
akgua!pid!pwd

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (10/04/85)

> We used to make apple cider by simply taking un-pasturized plain old apple
> juice straight from the press and letting it sit outside (if the weather is
> crisp and cool) for 1-2 weeks.  The longer it sits (to a point) the better
Or even in your refridgerator ...

> You can distill apple cider--then you have apple jack.  You may also have
> problems with the law!  Try substituting apple jack for the cider in hot
> spiced cider.  Don't plan on driving for at least 4 hours afterwards!
> Betsy Cvetic
I thought that applejack was produced by *freezing* the hard cider, then
decanting the higher-alcohol-content (ie: antifreeze laden) part (the
applejack).  Throw away the ice and drink the liquid part (sparingly).
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

nm34@sdcc12.UUCP (nm34) (10/09/85)

   It is very easy to make hard apple cider (alcoholic).

     1) Buy real apple cider.  THis is from a fruit stand in the country.
   I recomend Jenkins-Leukins on Rt. 299 just outside of New Paltz, New York
(my home town).

     2) Unscrew the cap and let it sit on top of the bottle.

        i) Option 1 - Dont add any yeast.  It the cider is natural, it
should contain its own yeast.  But I have had the stuff go rotten
instead of good.  Let it sit in your cool basement or cool room for
about 1 to 2 weeks, until it is bubbly and tastes like beer.

       ii) Option 2 - Add baking yeast.  An 1/8 of a teaspoon is all that
is needed.  In a pinch this will work fine.  The hard cider wont taste quite
as good, but after the third glass, you wont care.

      iii) Option 3 - Add brewer's yeast.  Also only an 1/8 of a teaspoon.
This is the prefered agent.  Make sure it is live yeast.  Drug stores sell a
product that contain, I think, dead yeast.  So watch out.

     3) The amount of time it takes is variable depending on yeast,
temperature and apple cider, so you have to experiment.

     For a final trick, after the cider is distinctly hard (maximum
alcohol content) put it outside in below freezing weather (in a plastic
container)  or in the freezer.  As it freezes from the outside, the
alcohol concentrates on the middle of the bottle.  WHen it is frozen,
there will be a core of very strong apple flavored liquid.  Strain the
ice and enjoy.  This is called (in New Paltz) apple jack.

P.s.  I now live in San Diego and can only reminisce about these things.

                               Andy

          {ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs}!sdcsvax!sdcc12!nm34

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (10/15/85)

> Does anybody out there have any idea how to make apple cider? Either
> the alcoholic or the non-alcoholic type.
>
> Trevor J. Smedley

When I was growing up in the *Country*, a friend of ours had a small
orchard (Jonathans, I *think*).  We picked the apples and threw them into
an antique screw-press, cranked it down to SQUEEZE the apples, and strained
the pulp, et.al.   Freezing the cider created fast Apple Jack -- but I was
too young to enjoy.  The 'virgin' stuff, however, lives on in memory --
nothing I've tasted compares.

Now what you do in terms of Modern "convenience" . . .
         ___________________
              ______________\
                 ___________ |
         	    ______  /
	       .	 / /	  o
	     .ooo.     ./ /.	. o@ooo0              oo ) oo
	    .ooooo.   .ooooo.  .oooo                 o Barb  o
        oo..oo	 oo...ooo ooo..ooo  \                o       o
     .oo  oo	  oooooo   oooooo                     o     o
		    ooo	     ooo                       oo oo

johansen@agrigene.UUCP (10/16/85)

>    It is very easy to make hard apple cider (alcoholic).
>      1) Buy real apple cider.
>      2) Unscrew the cap and let it sit on top of the bottle.
>         i) Option 1 - Dont add any yeast.
> Let it sit in your cool basement or cool room for
> about 1 to 2 weeks, until it is bubbly and tastes like beer.
>
>        ii) Option 2 - Add baking yeast.
>
>       iii) Option 3 - Add brewer's yeast.

        iv) Option 4- Add a few raisins. They are covered with yeast and
are extremely competent at fermentation. (The basis of the wine
industry)

Option-------> pOtion