[net.cooks] We can change the world!

smithson@calma.uucp (Brian Smithson) (09/16/85)

In article <279@weitek.UUCP> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
>The project is Cheese Triscuit.  That's right, Cheese Triscuit.  So far,
>Nabisco has had a damn good cracker called Triscuit.  A few years ago,
>they introduced a new form, Low Salt Triscuit.  I propose that our project
>be to force Nabisco to introduce another form of Triscuit, Cheese Triscuit.
I can see why you didn't post to net.veg.  Every good veg knows that Nabisco
unnecessarily uses lard in their crackers (gag me with a former animal!), while
Sunshine proudly announces their products as using "100% vegetable shortening".
Really -- who would want another cracker from the same company who puts lard
in "Vegetable Thins"? :-)

--

		-Brian Smithson
		 Calma Company

mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) (09/25/85)

Okay guys, let's test the power of the net.  I've come up with a project
that would be a perfect demonstration of the degree to which Usenet can
affect the conduct of daily life in this country.  We now reach 100K to
250K people with the network.  Do we control the country, yet?  Can we?

We must have a project that is an adequate demonstration of our power.  But
at the same time, we must not bite off more than we can chew (otherwise
we'll be demonstrating our LACK of power).

The project is Cheese Triscuit.  That's right, Cheese Triscuit.  So far,
Nabisco has had a damn good cracker called Triscuit.  A few years ago,
they introduced a new form, Low Salt Triscuit.  I propose that our project
be to force Nabisco to introduce another form of Triscuit, Cheese Triscuit.

Imagine that.  We can put a new product on the shelves of America.  It might
even be a good product, if Nabisco doesn't screw it up.  If they make it
as good as Cheez-It crackers from Sunshine Baking, we can be proud of the
achievement.  Of course they'll probably make something as wretched as Cheese
Nips (just thinking about Cheese Nips makes me want to spit something out of
my mouth).

I want us Usenet junkies to be able to say to our grandchildren, "See that!
See that box of Cheese Triscuit there!  When Usenet and I were young, we put
that there.  We created that.  The Usenet is strong!  Don't mess with us."

So let's begin a massive letter writing campaign.  Thousands of letters from
coast-to-coast.  Computer-printed forms, hand-written scribbles from little
old ladies, pen plotted simulations of hand-written scribbles from little old
ladies, whatever you can come up with.  JUST DON'T LET NABISCO KNOW ABOUT
USENET.

Mark Thorson (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)

barrys@hercules.UUCP (Barry Steel) (09/27/85)

What a GROSS idea!  Who gives a **** about Nabisco crackers anyway?

Dumb, very dumb...

barry steel

In article <24@calma.uucp>, smithson@calma.uucp (Brian Smithson) writes:
>In article <279@weitek.UUCP> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
>>I propose that our project
>>be to force Nabisco to introduce another form of Triscuit, Cheese Triscuit.
>I can see why you didn't post to net.veg.  Every good veg knows that Nabisco
>unnecessarily uses lard in their crackers (gag me with a former animal!), while
>Sunshine proudly announces their products as using "100% vegetable shortening".
>Really -- who would want another cracker from the same company who puts lard
>in "Vegetable Thins"? :-)
>--
>		-Brian Smithson

Not only vegs but Jews who eat kosher are not enamored of this Nabisco practice.
Triscuit, however, is lard-free, as are a (very) few other Nabisco products
like their Wheat Thins, sugar wafers, and peanut creme patties.  Blueberry
and Apple Newtons are also lard-free, but not the original Fig :-(.  Keebler
is a similar offender.  Supposedly the lard adds flavor, as well as often
being cheaper.  At least I have never met up with a potato chip fried in
lard--that would be TOO MUCH.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

floyd@brl-tgr.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford ) (10/01/85)

In article <461@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>At least I have never met up with a potato chip fried in
>lard--that would be TOO MUCH.
>--

It is obvious that most of the anti lard types are not from the
south or familiar with Amish or Mennonite style cooking.  These use
lard extensively (less prevalent in the more modern south).  Lard is
not cheaper, generally.  Go buy a tin of Crisco then go to the dairy
shelf for a pound of lard.  There may be certain health advantages
with using the vegetable products over the animal products but
for people who are self sufficient, in the sense that they make
the products they consume, you are apt to find shortening made from
animal fats.

Don't dare to visit the east, especially the counties just west of
Philadelphia.  These areas have a high concentration of the farming
folk known as Menninites, Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch.  The local
potato chip makers create some of the most delicious potatoe chips,
the best being fried in lard.  The chips are crisper have much more
snap and crunch and seem to keep fresher longer.  This is probably
a regional phenomenon since most of the major potatoe chip makers
are the larger companies which must use the vegetable products for
their cheaper price and mass appeal.  The lard based chip is definitely
a smaller demand product, but a very real product with a devoted
following.

floyd@brl.arpa

maloney@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/02/85)

/* Written  9:13 pm  Sep 24, 1985 by mmm@weitek.UUCP in uiucuxc:net.cooks */ /* ---------- "We can change the world!" ---------- */
[...]

/* End of text from uiucuxc:net.cooks */

krossen@bbncca.ARPA (Ken Rossen) (10/02/85)

In article <461@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>     Supposedly the lard adds flavor, as well as often being cheaper.  At
>     least I have never met up with a potato chip fried in lard--that would
>     be TOO MUCH.
----------
Well, they do exist ... travelling to my then-home in North Carolina,
I found that the potato chips we'd picked up in a little roadside store
somewhere, had lard as their shortening ingredient.

I was pretty put off.  I've never cooked with lard in my life, and I don't
eat pig in anything any more unless I don't know about it.  More depressing
(somehow) was that the chips weren't bad at all.  I've forgotten the
manufacturer, but they were made in Virginia, and the bag called them
"Country Style" potato chips.  I found out what they were made with when
checking the bag to see what made them different.

*Sigh* ... next time I'll just stick to packing some grapes.
--
Ken Rossen	...!{decvax,ihnp4,ima,linus,harvard}!bbncca!krossen
... or ...  	krossen@bbnccp.ARPA

marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) (10/03/85)

In article <279@weitek.UUCP> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
>Okay guys, let's test the power of the net.  I've come up with a project
>that would be a perfect demonstration of the degree to which Usenet can
>affect the conduct of daily life in this country.  We now reach 100K to
>250K people with the network.  Do we control the country, yet?  Can we?
>
>We must have a project that is an adequate demonstration of our power.  But
>at the same time, we must not bite off more than we can chew (otherwise
>we'll be demonstrating our LACK of power).
>
>The project is Cheese Triscuit.  That's right, Cheese Triscuit.  So far,
>Nabisco has had a damn good cracker called Triscuit.  A few years ago,
>they introduced a new form, Low Salt Triscuit.  I propose that our project
>be to force Nabisco to introduce another form of Triscuit, Cheese Triscuit.
>
>Mark Thorson (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)

If you want us to get Cheese triscuits for you, Mark, you have to supply
the address. Some of us netters aren't allowed away from our terminals
without calling the guards to release the leg irons (=:

Marv Moskowitz

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (10/03/85)

> ...JUST DON'T LET NABISCO KNOW ABOUT USENET!

Right, Mark. You can be sure the secret is safe
with all 250,000 of us! Mum's the word.

Boy, are WE going to surprise THEM! Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee!

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (10/08/85)

> I was pretty put off.  I've never cooked with lard in my life, and I don't
> eat pig in anything any more unless I don't know about it.  More depressing
Lard does not necessarily come from pork. It can come from the
fat of any animal. If one likes GOOD tamales (they only come
in two varieties, GOOD and AWFUL, regardless of their type:
meat, green corn, etc.) they must be made with lard.
We generally use the can of grease saved from all broiling,
frying or roasting meats. It is generally a mix of beef and
pork lard.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (10/10/85)

> > I was pretty put off.  I've never cooked with lard in my life, and I don't
> > eat pig in anything any more unless I don't know about it.  More depressing
> Lard does not necessarily come from pork. It can come from the
> fat of any animal.   ... tamales discussion ommited ...
> We generally use the can of grease saved from all broiling,
> frying or roasting meats. It is generally a mix of beef and
> pork lard.

What is lard?  According to my Websters it is the fat of pigs.
The word used to describe the fat of ~' bovines, lamb, etc.' is
tallow.  Looks to me like lard is restricted to pig fat.

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

ariels@orca.UUCP (Ariel Shattan) (10/12/85)

> > I was pretty put off.  I've never cooked with lard in my life, and I don't
> > eat pig in anything any more unless I don't know about it.  More depressing
> Lard does not necessarily come from pork. It can come from the
> fat of any animal. If one likes GOOD tamales (they only come
> in two varieties, GOOD and AWFUL, regardless of their type:
> meat, green corn, etc.) they must be made with lard.
> We generally use the can of grease saved from all broiling,
> frying or roasting meats. It is generally a mix of beef and
> pork lard.
> --
> Suzanne Barnett-Scott

When ingredients' lists say "lard" they mean pig fat.  When they mean
beef fat they say "beef fat."   I've seen ingredients' lists that say
things like "vegetable and/or animal shortening (hygrogenated soybean
oil, cottonseed oil, lard, and/or beef fat)."  Keebler generally uses
beef fat and Nabisco generally uses lard when they says "animal
shortening."  I generally stick with Sunshine (all vegetable shortening)
or Pepperidge Farms (veg. shortening and *butter*) when I haven't got
time to make my own (butter).

barrys@hercules.UUCP (Barry Steel) (10/14/85)

In article <1818@orca.UUCP> ariels@orca.UUCP (Ariel Shattan) writes:

>When ingredients' lists say "lard" they mean pig fat.  When they mean
>beef fat they say "beef fat."

I don't know what food processors "mean", but lard IS animal fat.
Specifically, the fat that is not suet (the harder fat located around the
kidneys).  No assumption is made about animal type, although when referring
to the fat of bovines, lard is used without further elaboration.

barry steel

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (10/17/85)

> In article <1818@orca.UUCP> ariels@orca.UUCP (Ariel Shattan) writes:
> >
> >When ingredients' lists say "lard" they mean pig fat.  When they mean
> >beef fat they say "beef fat."
>
> I don't know what food processors "mean", but lard IS animal fat.
> Specifically, the fat that is not suet (the harder fat located around the
> kidneys).  No assumption is made about animal type, although when referring
> to the fat of bovines, lard is used without further elaboration.
>
> barry steel

Read your Websters.  Mine says lard is pig fat.  Tallow is bovine or
other generalized fat.  Lard does not come from cows.  Pigs are used
to make lard.

(It pains me greatly to do this, as I hate people who incessently call
for references; but here I am doing it.  Sigh.  Life is cruel
sometimes...)

If you claim lard means anything other than purified pig fat, please
state your reference.  Mine is Websters.

Thanks for bearing with me on this tedious point.