[comp.unix.questions] RFS...

paul@phoenix.UUCP (02/28/87)

We have been running the public domain Remote File System
on a pair of uvaxIIs, under Ultrix1.1. This is the program
by Todd Brunhoff. We made the most
recently posted patches to it, the ones that eliminated the
noop() calls, but still are having problems with it.  In
particular there are times when an attempt to cd to a remote
directory, or ls one will send the user into outer space.
This seems to be an RFS problem since rsh still works fine
at these times, but any attempts to access a remote file will
doom that particular user.   We can't seem to force a
crash to diagnose the problem, and the only way out seems
to be to reboot.

Has anyone else had any experience with this?

dlt@csuna.UUCP (Dave Thompson) (03/18/88)

We are about to upgrade our 3B5s to 3B15s in about a week or so.  Accompanying
the hardware for the upgrade was unix release 2.1/2.1.2.  In perusing the
documentation, I find no mention of RFS.  (Oh, we also got 3BNET and TCP/IP.)
I may be mis-remembering or something (bits dropping off ... :-)), but doesn't
RFS come with the 3B15?  Or is it something that comes in a later version of
unix?  If so, when?  Anybody have any ideas?
\
Please respond by email.

Thanks,
	Dave

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!csuna!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (03/18/88)

You need at least System V Release 3 to run RFS.

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

    UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell		ARPA: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

In article <1105@csuna.UUCP> dlt@csuna.UUCP (Dave Thompson) writes:
>We are about to upgrade our 3B5s to 3B15s in about a week or so.  Accompanying
>the hardware for the upgrade was unix release 2.1/2.1.2.  In perusing the
>documentation, I find no mention of RFS.

RFS is based on STREAMS technology, which did not appear until UNIX
System V Release 3.0.

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) (10/25/88)

How well does it perform?

System V 3.1 offers client-side caching, is there a big performance
improvement?  How much?

Has anybody implemented a disk-bound application under RFS, haveing
the application do alot of I/Os to the remote files and such?  Does
RFS lend itself to this at all (any better than NFS)???

How robust is it in a client or server goes down?  Can you come back up
and continue from where you left off?
--
Mitchell Lerner -- UUCP:  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell
	Don't speak to him of your heartache, for he is speaking.