[comp.unix.questions] 100 % +/- 5% compatible UNIX C compiler for IBM ATs.

marco@concour.concordia.cdn (Marco Zelada) (10/16/88)

	I have had so much trouble with porting some of my work from
a SUN system to my AT. I developed a number of software packages for
the VLSI design lab I work in. They use mostly regular UNIX stuff,
NO SUNVEIW things, however I have not been able to compile too many of them
in my AT with MSC, TURBOC, or LATTICE C. We would like to be able to have
these programs running in a new MICRO lab we are setting up.

	If there is anyone out there that can point me to a PC C
compiler that will be as compatible to the UNIX C compiler as possible, I
would very much appreciate it.  Has anyone use the Astec C compiler to port
programs written under UNIX to the MSDOS environment >

samlb@well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) (10/21/88)

In article <17311@adm.ARPA> marco@concour.concordia.cdn (Marco Zelada) writes:
>	If there is anyone out there that can point me to a PC C
>compiler that will be as compatible to the UNIX C compiler as possible, I
>would very much appreciate it.

I have used the Power C package from Mix (the ~$50 one advertized in BYTE,
Computer Language, DDJ, etc) to work on a medium-sized (~2000 line) filter
package at home.  The code compiles identically under Power C and cc on
the Sun workstations at work (4.2 BSD).
	Can't get much more compatible  :-)

(I didn't try anything too fancy, however . . . )
--
Sam'l Bassett -- Semantic Engineering for fun & profit.
34 Oakland Ave., San Anselmo  CA  94960;               DDD:  (415) 454-7282

hermit@shockeye.UUCP (Mark Buda) (10/25/88)

In article <17311@adm.ARPA> marco@concour.concordia.cdn (Marco Zelada)
	wants to know about a PC C compiler that is very very like UNIX cc

In article <7431@well.UUCP> samlb@well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) responds:
>I have used the Power C package from Mix (the ~$50 one advertized in BYTE,
>Computer Language, DDJ, etc) to work on a medium-sized (~2000 line) filter
>package at home.  The code compiles identically under Power C and cc on
>the Sun workstations at work (4.2 BSD).
>	Can't get much more compatible  :-)
>
>(I didn't try anything too fancy, however . . . )

I've been wishing I could compile GNU CC on a 386 PC/AT clone so I can hack
MINIX until it works in 386 protected mode. But there are some BIIIG
problems.

There are some whopping huge macros.
An 'int' is treated like a pointer all over the place. This doesn't work in
large/huge model. In particular, 0 is passed as a null pointer instead of
0L.
The whole thing is bigger than 640K.

Could Power C deal with these things? Specifically, CAN IT COMPILE WITH
int==long instead of int==short????

CAN ANYTHING???????? AAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! I WANT GNU CC BUT NOTHING I HAVE
ACCESS TO CAN COMPILE IT!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!

(sorry, I've been banging my head against the wall a lot lately.)
--
Mark Buda / Smart UUCP: hermit@shockeye.uucp / Phone(work):(717)299-5189
Dumb UUCP: ...rutgers!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!shockeye!hermit

samlb@well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) (10/27/88)

In article <229@shockeye.UUCP> hermit@shockeye.UUCP (Mark Buda) writes:

>Could Power C deal with these things? Specifically, CAN IT COMPILE WITH
>int==long instead of int==short????

I think so -- the manual sez there is a long, and guarantees it is larger
than an int.

It also says that Power C uses the "medium" memory model.  This may leave you
out, if you absolutely need "huge".