[comp.unix.questions] Escape keys

whh@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) (11/04/88)

In article <601@infmx.UUCP>, aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) writes:

> One problem is that when you are in vt220 mode, your ESCAPE key no
> longer generates the ESCAPE character (ascii 27), it generates
> "CSI 2 3 ~" instead (for use as F11).  Therefore, another key (no pun
> intended) question is: how do you generate ESC from the keyboard in
> vt220 mode?  (When in vt100 mode, ESC is generated using the ESC/F11 key).

"Escape" is ^[.  This is handy to know when you sit down at a strange
terminal and either you can't *find* the escape key or it doesn't have one.

(Another few useful keys to know are: Carriage return is ^M, Line Feed is
^J and Form Feed is ^L.)

     --Hal

  Hal Heydt                             |    "Hafnium plus Holmium is
  Analyst, Pacific*Bell                 |     one-point-five, I think."
  415-645-7708                          |       --Dr. Jane Robinson
  {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhya!whh