[comp.unix.questions] What's a gnode?

jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) (11/04/88)

Lately we have been getting a number of "out of gnodes" or "gnode: table
is full" messages. The machine is a MicroVAX II running Ultrix 2.3. The
machine is both an NFS server and client with two other machines (a Sun
and an HP) on the network. I am assuming from looking at include files,
etc., that is is a file system thing. It hasn't caused any problems yet
that we have seen, but I would like to know what is going on. Thanks!
--
Jeff Lo
..!{ames,hplabs,uunet}!elan!jlo

mark@drd.UUCP (Mark Lawrence) (11/05/88)

jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) wrote:
%% Lately we have been getting a number of "out of gnodes" or "gnode: table
%% is full" messages. ...

hmmm -- I wasn't aware that DEC Ultrix was utilising FSF's
implementation of the popular virtual file system.  I wonder if RMS is
aware? :-)

	Mark

srinivas@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (V. Srinivasan) (11/05/88)

In article <374@elan.UUCP|, jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) writes:
| Lately we have been getting a number of "out of gnodes" or "gnode: table
| is full" messages. The machine is a MicroVAX II running Ultrix 2.3. The

A gnode is a generic i-node like structure created in memory for accessing
local and remote files in a uniform way. Every open file in the kernel has
one gnode structure associated with it. The gnode is the Ultrix counterpart
of the old in-core i-node.

Gnodes are allocated from table with a  static size fixed at kernel compile
time. In your case the problem seems to be that too many files are being
opened at the same time and the system runs out of gnodes.

--Srini	(srini@cs.wisc.edu)

tp@granite.dec.com (t patterson) (11/06/88)

In article <374@elan.UUCP> jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) writes:
>Lately we have been getting a number of "out of gnodes" or "gnode: table
>is full" messages. The machine is a MicroVAX II running Ultrix 2.3.

   Somebody else has already replied & said what gnodes are, so I'll just
babble about what to do when you run out of them... (I don't believe this
is documented in the Ultrix "Guide to System Configuration File Maintenance")

   first, do "/etc/pstat -T" -- this ought to give you an idea of the
size of some of your static tables and how close you are to overflowing
them.  (of course, you only see the current state of the tables.)

   anyway, until somebody releases Ultrix with dynamically expanding
system tables, you'll have to make yourself a new kernel if you wish to
avoid these messages.

   do "cd /usr/sys/conf"  if you poke around in param.c, you should see:

#define NGNODE ((NPROC + 16 + MAXUSERS) + 32 + NTEXT)

   you want NGNODE to be increased.
   you might want to get serious and try and determine which of these
tables your system is pounding on so that you can increase just the ones
that need it... I am usually really lazy -- in the kernel config file,
I'll just put in something like "maxusers 32" on a uVAX and if you read
the #define's in param.c, you'll see that this pretty much increases the
size of everything...

   once you'd decided how you want to twiddle NGNODE and the other values,
make and install a new kernel.  a lot of work just to increase a couple
little tables...

--
t patterson		internet:	tp@decwrl.dec.com
			uucp:		decwrl!tp