[comp.unix.questions] Paging wide

ekkel@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Erik Ekkel) (11/02/88)

My Informix 4GL application generates reports with more then 80 char/line.
Does somebody know a paging mechanism to show this reports on a normal
screen ???  I would like to use some horizontal scrolling features.

p.s. the standard SysV pager "pg" does cut the lines, but this user interface
     is what i prefer (also reading from stdin !)

--
    __
   /                   Erik Ekkel, Philips PTDSN (+31 55 433301)

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (11/04/88)

From article <585@wc11.idca.tds.philips.nl>, by ekkel@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Erik Ekkel):
> My Informix 4GL application generates reports with more then 80 char/line.
> Does somebody know a paging mechanism to show this reports on a normal
> screen ???  I would like to use some horizontal scrolling features.
>
> p.s. the standard SysV pager "pg" does cut the lines, but this user interface
>      is what i prefer (also reading from stdin !)

I too had trouble with an 80 char screen when I wanted one much wider.  As
I was using a VT100 I could use the 132 column feature.  I have a shell
script which tries to find a wider terminal definition in the termcap
database and if successful will switch a terminal to the wider version
and execute a command.  Ideal for using vi on long lined programs, or
'more' for wide listings.
--
  _____      Jonathan Knight,                || JANET: jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs
    /        Department of Computer Science  || UUCP:  ...!ukc!kl-cs!jonathan

wu@spot.Colorado.EDU (WU SHI-KUEI) (11/06/88)

In article <298@kl-cs.UUCP> jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
>From article <585@wc11.idca.tds.philips.nl>, by ekkel@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Erik Ekkel):
>> My Informix 4GL application generates reports with more then 80 char/line.
>> Does somebody know a paging mechanism to show this reports on a normal
>> screen ???  I would like to use some horizontal scrolling features.

If your terminal supports 132 characters per line, you can take advantage
of the fact that 'pg' reads the environment variable COLS that can be set
in a shell script.  E.g.:

	COLS=132
	export COLS
	echo "what-ever-magic-to-set-terminal-132-col-mode"
	pg $*
	echo "what-ever-magic-to-set-terminal-80-col-mode"

Juset a guest here.  In real life:
Carl Brandauer
uunet!nbires!bdaemon!carl

tchrist@convex.UUCP (Tom Christiansen) (11/06/88)

In article <585@wc11.idca.tds.philips.nl> ekkel@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl
    (Erik Ekkel) writes:
>p.s. the standard SysV pager "pg" does cut the lines, but this user interface
>     is what i prefer (also reading from stdin !)

I recently had the experience of using "pg" on a Unicos system, and
was summarily unipressed.  You call this a pager?  I can't help but
wonder whether Cray's version isn't what is normally run on System V.
It seems so primitive.  Even more is vastly superior to the pg I used,
and less just blows it out of the water!

--tom

    Tom Christiansen              {uiucdcs,ut-sally,sun}!convex!tchrist
    Convex Computer Corporation                     tchrist@convex.COM
	UNIX Support, Training, and System Administration
	    "That's not a bug -- it's a feature!"

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (11/10/88)

In article <697@convex.UUCP> tchrist@convex.UUCP (Tom Christiansen) writes:
>In article <585@wc11.idca.tds.philips.nl> ekkel@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl
>    (Erik Ekkel) writes:
>>p.s. the standard SysV pager "pg" does cut the lines, but this user interface
>>     is what i prefer (also reading from stdin !)

Actually the behavior of "pg" for long lines depends on a flag option.

>I recently had the experience of using "pg" on a Unicos system, and
>was summarily unipressed.  You call this a pager?  I can't help but
>wonder whether Cray's version isn't what is normally run on System V.
>It seems so primitive.  Even more is vastly superior to the pg I used,
>and less just blows it out of the water!

UNIX System V "pg" is more versatile than 4.1BSD "more" (I don't know
whether 4.3BSD has enhanced "more").  You may have been misled by not
reading the instructions before using it, since its default behavior
(no options) does seem crufty.

None of these is as good as a terminal that knows how to paginate
and scroll its text windows.