[comp.unix.questions] An unofficial but trustworthy word about the WORM and ULTRIX from Digital

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (11/08/88)

No official fix has come out from Digital regarding the sendmail/fingerd
worm hole (whoah!) because ULTRIX machines are not affected.  ULTRIX sendmail
has been compiled with the debug feature turned off and fingerd does not
exist on ULTRIX.

Field test systems (ULTRIX 3.0) do have these holes but FT sites were
communicated with personally.  ULTRIX 3.0 will not have these bugs/holes
when it ships next month.

Fred

mohamed@popvax.harvard.edu (Mohamed Ellozy) (11/09/88)

In article <2581@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>No official fix has come out from Digital regarding the sendmail/fingerd
>worm hole (whoah!) because ULTRIX machines are not affected.  ULTRIX sendmail

What is the status of ftpd under ULTRIX (present, Field Test and future)?
Does the bug exist, and if so have users been notified?  As I recall, the
bug was only described in comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes, a group that is probably
subscribed to by very few binary sites.

hutch@net1.ucsd.edu (Jim Hutchison) (11/09/88)

Whoa!  Wakeup!  DEC is not doing people a favor by not supplying them
with a handy feature like debug.  Cleaning up the bug/feature *in*
debug is a fix, dropping the feature is creating a limitation.  Hopefully
this feature will come back without the bug/feature in it.

/*    Jim Hutchison   		UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!cs!net1!hutch
		    		ARPA:	JHutchison@ucsd.edu
     These are my opinions, and now you have your perceptions of them. */

peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) (11/09/88)

In article <269@popvax.harvard.edu> mohamed@popvax.harvard.edu (Mohamed Ellozy) writes:
>In article <2581@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>>No official fix has come out from Digital regarding the sendmail/fingerd
>>worm hole (whoah!) because ULTRIX machines are not affected.  ULTRIX sendmail
>
>What is the status of ftpd under ULTRIX (present, Field Test and future)?
>Does the bug exist, and if so have users been notified?  As I recall, the
>bug was only described in comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes, a group that is probably
>subscribed to by very few binary sites.

Yes, the ftpd bug does exist.  Shut off anonymous FTP for the time being.
I have contacted our DEC rep to see if a patch is available.
--
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce@gw.wmich.edu

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (11/10/88)

> No official fix has come out from Digital regarding the sendmail/fingerd
> worm hole (whoah!) because ULTRIX machines are not affected.  ULTRIX sendmail
> has been compiled with the debug feature turned off and fingerd does not
> exist on ULTRIX.

The same is true of HP-UX systems.

Dave Decot
HP