[comp.unix.questions] Help with UUCP protocols.

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (11/17/88)

Hi.  I'm trying to make a list of the available UUCP protocols.  If at all
possible, I'd like to keep a central list of these things, so that if
people want to create a new protocol (for gnuucp, UUPC or whatever), they
can contact me for a letter allocation.  The only ones I'm familiar with
are as follows;
	'f'	- X.25 PAD protocol.  Source available.
	'g'	- Packet protocol.
	'x'	- ?simple protocol.

I know there are others, but I don't know what they are, or what their
advantages are.  If you could also tell me if the protocol driver source-
code is in the public domain, it would be a great help.  Thanks.
						- Der
--
	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (11/17/88)

In article <2656@sultra.UUCP>, dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:
> I'm trying to make a list of the available UUCP protocols.
> [...] The only ones I'm familiar with
> are as follows;
> 	'f'	- X.25 PAD protocol.  Source available.
> 	'g'	- Packet protocol.
> 	'x'	- ?simple protocol.

I think 'x' was a special purpose protocol to be used for X.25.
It isn't included in System V.3 anymore, so I think we could mark
it as allocated but extinct.

I'll add:

	't'	written by Rick Adams, primarily used in the BSD/TCP-IP
		world, but could be used for any error-free channel
		which provides it's own flow control.

	'e'	Similar to 't', written about the same time by the
		HDB/BNU people (you know who you are).

	'k'	similar to 'f' for 7-bit in-band flow control channels
		included with PCMAIL which was posted to comp.sources.misc
		recently.

I believe somebody is working on 'z' for zmodem.

Is it time to start a comp.protocols.uucp newsgroup?
--
Dave Arnold (dave@arnold.UUCP)
Work: Volt Delta Resources     Phone: (714) 921-7635

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (11/18/88)

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) wrote:
> Hi.  I'm trying to make a list of the available UUCP protocols.  If at all
> possible, I'd like to keep a central list of these things, so that if
> people want to create a new protocol (for gnuucp, UUPC or whatever), they
> can contact me for a letter allocation.  The only ones I'm familiar with
> are as follows;
> 	'f'	- X.25 PAD protocol.  Source available.
> 	'g'	- Packet protocol.
> 	'x'	- ?simple protocol.
>
> I know there are others, but I don't know what they are, or what their
> advantages are.  If you could also tell me if the protocol driver source-
> code is in the public domain, it would be a great help.  Thanks.
> 						- Der

    Isn't "z" zmodem?

	 Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108