[comp.unix.questions] PC wordprocessors on *NIX

ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (11/09/88)

I have heard that Microsoft Word, Wordperfect and possibly others have *nix
versions of their products working ... I assume on '386 based platforms.  Has
anyone here had any experience with these products? ... and are they really
limited in platforms? ... Thanks

Leo Hinds               ldh@hdw.harris.com

prc@ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) (11/11/88)

In article <48200014@hcx1>, ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:

> I have heard that Microsoft Word, Wordperfect and possibly others have *nix
> versions of their products working ... I assume on '386 based platforms.  Has
> anyone here had any experience with these products? ... and are they really
> limited in platforms? ... Thanks

Microsoft Word is (as far as I know) only available for Microsoft's "own"
UNIX and deratives, Xenix/286 and Xenix/386.

Word Perfect is available for a number of different machines, among
them Xenix/386 (not /286), NCR Tower, AT&T 3b2, and Encore Multimax.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
--
Robert Claeson
EUnet: rclaeson@erbe.se   Smart ARPAnet: rclaeson@erbe.se

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/14/88)

In article <48200014@hcx1> ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:

>I have heard that Microsoft Word, Wordperfect and possibly others have *nix
>versions of their products working ... I assume on '386 based platforms.  Has
>anyone here had any experience with these products? ... and are they really
>limited in platforms? ... Thanks

I've seen WordPerfect on 386 Xenix (I got it working for a customer), and
understand that it is also becoming (or already is) available on 386 UNIX
and Tower (68020) UNIX.  WordPerfect seems to work pretty darn good on the
machine I've seen.  Pretty snappy.  It's WP 4.2 at present.  Much better
than running WP under VP/ix, which does work very well but behaves a little
oddly.

I've also heard of something called "123-G" which is a version of good 'ol
Lotus 1-2-3 which will be available for UNIX shortly.  Supposed to have all
of the features of Symphony.
--
Chris Lewis
{uunet!attcan,uunet,utgpu,yunexus,utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

mike@ists (Mike Clarkson) (11/14/88)

WordPerfect 4.2 is available for Suns, and seems to work OK.

Make sure you have a terminal that has 10 function keys that you
can SHIFT ALT and CNTRL, or you'll drive your secretaries nuts.
PC XT clones work fine with kermit.

Mike.

--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (11/15/88)

In article <48200014@hcx1> ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:
>I have heard that Microsoft Word, Wordperfect and possibly others have *nix
>versions of their products working ... I assume on '386 based platforms.

There's also Scripsit, which used to be just for Tandy machines, but has
now been ported to '386 and Tower and other machines. Contact
root@nexus.UUCP.
--
Jean-Pierre Radley		Honi soit		jpr@dasys1.UUCP
New York, New York		qui mal			...!hombre!jpradley!jpr

tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) (11/17/88)

In article <48200014@hcx1> ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:

>I have heard that Microsoft Word, Wordperfect and possibly others have *nix
>versions of their products working ... I assume on '386 based platforms.  Has
>anyone here had any experience with these products? ... and are they really
>limited in platforms? ... Thanks

The October 31 issue of PC WEEK had an insert talking about DOS/UNIX woking
together.  It included this list of manufacturers that make word processors
for both environments:

	SunWord - Crandell Development Corp.
	805-969-6851
	DOS:	PC, XT, AT, PS/2
	UNIX:	AI/X, TTIX, SCO on 386

	Word - Microsoft
	206-882-8080
	DOS:	AT and up
	UNIX:	Xenix

	Samna Plus IV - Samna Corp
	800-831-9679
	DOS:	386
	UNIX:	AT&T 3B, NCR Tower, uPort, SCO, AT&T 386

	Crystal Doc. Management System (Crystal writer?) - Syntactics Corp
	800-626-6400
	DOS:	Any
	UNIX:	Altos, Aris, AT&T, Convergnet, Cubix, DEC, Gould, NCR, etc.

	Word Era - Tigera Corp
	415-594-9986
	DOS:	Any
	UNIX:	System V, BSD4.1, uPort, CTIX

	LEX P*D*Q - Trajectory Software
	800-445-9292
	DOS:	Any
	UNIX:	Any
	(Says "Unix version runs on any Unix hardware and with any software.")

	WordPerfect 4.2 for Unix - Wordperfect Corp
	800-321-4566
	DOS:	Any
	UNIX:	System V, Berkely Unix V, SCO 386, uPort, Ultrix, others

Just one word of caution . . . the last time I looked at Microsoft Word
for the AT&T 3B series, it was still at version 1.1.  They are getting ready
to release 5.0 for DOS.  In other words, find out if the latest bells and
whistles have been added to the Unix version before you buy.

--
Tim J Ihde				UUCP:	    att!attdso!tim
(201) 898-6687				INTERNET:   tim@attdso.att.com

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (11/18/88)

In article <616@attdso.att.com>, tim@attdso.att.com (Tim J Ihde) writes:
> In article <48200014@hcx1> ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:
>
> The October 31 issue of PC WEEK had an insert talking about DOS/UNIX woking
> together.  It included this list of manufacturers that make word processors
> for both environments:

  One not included in your list: WordMarc.  Runs on pc's, Ultrix & VMS Vaxen,
  etc.  Known at one time as "Muse".

  (no, I am not recommending it)

    greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny