[comp.unix.questions] Microport serial communications

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (11/28/88)

I'm currently using Microport release 3.0e with the [Locus] Merge prod-
uct.

From what I've heard from other Microport users, product quality and
system support was reputedly lousy in the past.  However, the situation
has been improving lately, so they say.  I think I agree, but I am not
thoroughly satisfied.

One extremely annoying problem with the software I'm running has been the
unreliability of serial communications devices under Merge/386.  Are
others experiencing problems similar to mine?  Do MS-DOS products such as
(or similar to) Procomm or Laplink work properly?  Do they operate at the
highest baud rates?  How are you attaching the devices (e.g. direct/kernel/
virtual)?

Another annoying problem (unrelated to Merge): I have four serial ports
on my '386 machine.  As is typical with many AT clones, the ports may
each be configured to one of four addresses (called COM1-COM4 in the MS-
DOS world), and one of two interrupt levels (IRQ2 and 3).  The device
drivers that come with the system apparently don't allow serial ports to
share interrupt levels.  It's puzzling because the documentation indi-
cates that multiport boards use single interrupt levels.  A command
called ttypatch is used to configure the drivers.

I've tried using ttypatch to configure two of my single ports (at dif-
ferent addresses, of course) to a single interrupt level.  I can start a
getty on the first device with no problem.  As soon as I start a getty on
the second device, the first one fails (the getty's appear to interfere
with each other).  Stopping the second getty removes the problem.  I can
reproduce the same problem by reversing the ports also.

So it seems that all four ports work.  But I can't let them share inter-
rupts, so I can only use two at a time!.  So how do the multiport boards
work?  I don't want to buy one - I figure the configuration I've got
ought to be supported - it's common enough.  Is there anyone out there
that has overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Bill Michaelson, COS, Inc.       \ "Better to keep your mouth shut, and let
Voice 609-771-6705               / people think you're a fool, than to open

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (11/30/88)

(I have cross-posted this follow-up to comp.unix.microport, as it is more
appropriate and more likely to find expert readers there.)

In article <112@cosi.UUCP> bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) writes:

>Another annoying problem (unrelated to Merge): I have four serial ports
>on my '386 machine.  As is typical with many AT clones, the ports may
>each be configured to one of four addresses (called COM1-COM4 in the MS-
>DOS world), and one of two interrupt levels (IRQ2 and 3).  The device
>drivers that come with the system apparently don't allow serial ports to
>share interrupt levels.  It's puzzling because the documentation indi-
>cates that multiport boards use single interrupt levels.  A command
>called ttypatch is used to configure the drivers.

As it was explained to me, the problem is the following:

The driver will support multiple ports (at different addresses) using the
same interrupt IF THEY ARE ON THE SAME BOARD. In other words, two ports
may share an interrupt, two boards may not.

Unfortunately, standard AT and XT style com boards, which support two ports
per board, are set up to use two interrupts per board, and both of these
may be shared by up to two boards. Thus, it is set up the reverse from what
the Uport serial driver expects.

The Uport release notes explicitly refer to "Digiboard and similar" boards;
I didn't see that reference until after I got frustrated myself with the
same problem.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD