[comp.unix.questions] Does MANPATH work?

hwt@leibniz.uucp (Henry Troup) (12/01/88)

I have this setting of the MANPATH environment variable:

	MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/local/man

but man never finds anything in /usr/local/man.

I have RTMF - any advice ?

Henry Troup		utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not
Bell-Northern Reseach   hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for
Ottawa, Canada		(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions

hiebeler@rpics (Dave Hiebeler) (12/02/88)

In article <210@bnr-fos.UUCP> hwt@leibniz.uucp (Henry Troup) writes:
>I have this setting of the MANPATH environment variable:
>
>	MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/local/man
>
>but man never finds anything in /usr/local/man.

  I believe it depends on what machine you're trying to do this on.
I know it does work on Sun-3/*'s and Sun-4/*'s that we have around
here.  I do recall, though, that when I tried to do it on our
Sequent Balance running Dynix, that it did _not_ work.  I don't recall
what version of Dynix it was; also, our Dynix was recently upgraded,
but I haven't tried it since then.
  Your syntax looks find to me though, except for the way you printed
it: namely, as "MANPATH=/usr...."  I hope you were doing
  "setenv MANPATH /usr/...."
and not
  "setenv MANPATH=/usr/...."
If you put the '=' in there instead of a space, it won't work.
(All of this is csh-specific, of course).

----
Dave Hiebeler      Internet: hiebeler@cs.rpi.edu  (preferred address)
R.D. Box 225A                userfrzk%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu
Chatham, NY 12037    Bitnet: userfrzk@rpitsmts.bitnet
  "xue zai xao"     "...I can't remember what I was going to say..."

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (12/02/88)

In article <210@bnr-fos.UUCP> hwt@leibniz.uucp (Henry Troup) writes:
 >I have this setting of the MANPATH environment variable:
 >
 >	MANPATH=/usr/man:/usr/local/man
 >
 >but man never finds anything in /usr/local/man.
 >
 >I have RTMF - any advice ?
           ^^
		   Maybe that's your problem. Try reading it again while not F....
I find that comprehension of any reading matter is more thorough when one
puts all one's concentration into it. Reading the manual F.... would tend to
impair both your reading concentration and your proper appreciation of F....
-- whatever F stands for.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD