[comp.unix.questions] vhangup

kseshadr@cmdfs2.intel.com (Kishore Seshadri~) (11/24/88)

I'm trying to write a auto-logout facility and am using vhangup to
reinitialise a users tty. This does some bizarre things, and several
people have suggested that I kill the users shell process instead.

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences( pleasant or unpleasant)
with the vhangup() call. I'd appreciate any suggestions...

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (12/02/88)

In article <13@cmdfs2.intel.com> kseshadr@cmdfs2.intel.com
(Kishore Seshadri~) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone had any experiences( pleasant or unpleasant)
>with the vhangup() call. I'd appreciate any suggestions...

Among other things, the vhangup() system call should disappear
from POSIX-based systems.  It will be gone from 4.4BSD.

jbw@bucsb.UUCP (Joe Wells) (12/03/88)

In article <13@cmdfs2.intel.com> kseshadr@cmdfs2.intel.com (Kishore Seshadri~) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone had any experiences( pleasant or unpleasant)
>with the vhangup() call. I'd appreciate any suggestions...

This reminds me of a good quote:

	Whoa!  Don't look at vhangup(2) immediately after eating food.

I think this is by Chris Torek ...

--
Joe Wells
INTERNET: jbw%bucsf.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu