[comp.unix.questions] Info needed on workstations

markd@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Mark Diekhans) (11/28/88)

I am considering buying a Unix workstation in the less than $15K department.
So far, the Sun-3s and the IBM PC RT look likely contenders.  Does anyone have
any input on these or other UNIX workstations, both hardware and the versions
of UNIX for each?  Thanks,
Mark

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (11/30/88)

In article <6060017@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, markd@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Mark Diekhans) writes:
> I am considering buying a Unix workstation in the less than $15K department.
> So far, the Sun-3s and the IBM PC RT look likely contenders.  Does anyone have
> any input on these or other UNIX workstations, both hardware and the versions
> of UNIX for each?  Thanks,

  How about an HP 9000 Model 340 ?

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (11/30/88)

In article <6060017@hpcupt1.HP.COM> markd@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Mark Diekhans) writes:
>I am considering buying a Unix workstation in the less than $15K department.
>So far, the Sun-3s and the IBM PC RT look likely contenders.  Does anyone have
>any input on these or other UNIX workstations, both hardware and the versions
>of UNIX for each?  Thanks,

Anything wrong with HP's?  How about an HP9000 model 318, for instance?
The hardware's excellent, HP-UX is relatively featureful and quite crashfree,
and as an HP employee, you might even get a good price.  :-)

[Am I missing something fundamental here?]

--
Frank Wales, Systems Administrator,  [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

mike@pcsbst.UUCP (Mike Schroeder) (12/03/88)

In article <1451@zen.UUCP> frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) writes:
->In article <6060017@hpcupt1.HP.COM> markd@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Mark Diekhans) writes:

[ stuff on buying alternative *IX workstations deleted ]

->
->Anything wrong with HP's?  How about an HP9000 model 318, for instance?
->The hardware's excellent, HP-UX is relatively featureful and quite crashfree,
->and as an HP employee, you might even get a good price.  :-)
->
->[Am I missing something fundamental here?]

Who knows? Maybe Mark doesn't want an HP *because* he works there ;-)

Mike Schroeder		PCS-Mail: msc
SNAIL: PCS GmbH; Pfaelzer-Wald-Str. 36; D-8000 Muenchen 90; W. Germany
UUCP:  msc@pcsbst.uucp   or  ...uunet!unido!pcsbst!cochise!mike
                         or  ...pyramid!pcsbst!cochise!mike
VOICE: xx49-89-68004208

cricket@hp-sde.SDE.HP.COM (Cricket Liu) (12/03/88)

/ hp-sde:comp.unix.questions / frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) /  2:59 am  Nov 30, 1988 /

> Anything wrong with HP's?  How about an HP9000 model 318, for instance?
> The hardware's excellent, HP-UX is relatively featureful and quite crashfree,
> and as an HP employee, you might even get a good price.  :-)

The 318 might be a little outdated - for about $5k you could get a 340, a
Motorola 68030-based system which runs at about 4 MIPS.  Comes with 4 meg
of RAM.  The base configuration is meant to run discless, I think, but you
can add a SCSI controller for about $1.5k.

If you've got more than that to spend, look into the 370:  meant to be a
cluster server, performance may be as good as 7 MIPS or so.

And an HP employee!  You surprise me!

Cricket

Hewlett-Packard Corporate	ARPA/CSNET:  cricket%hpiosa@hp-sde.sde.hp.com
Integrated Office Systems	UUCP:  !hplabs!hpiosa!cricket
Palo Alto, California		AT&T:  (415) 424-3723