[comp.unix.questions] snapshot and capture phenomena

gyounger@ardec.arpa (AED-EWD) (11/30/88)

Here are a couple things that have puzzled me. Hope you have an
explanation.

This week I had just completed a unix command and was viewing the file
sent to the screen. Without realising it , I must have touched a key board
key to get a command or statement just below the screen;I noticed the
words "taking a snapshot". What is this? And what really happened? On another
occasion,I experienced the following while working with my unix file:again
by accidently hitting a key,which one I don't know,the area just below the
screen in the black and white area turned green and I found myself in the
capture mode.What key did I hit accidently to do this?

----- End of forwarded messages

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (12/04/88)

>This week I had just completed a unix command and was viewing the file
>sent to the screen. Without realising it , I must have touched a key board
>key to get a command or statement just below the screen;I noticed the
>words "taking a snapshot". What is this? And what really happened?

As few, if any, people reading your message have any idea what kind of
machine you're on, or what kind of terminal you're using, it's unlikely
that any of them can answer your question.  That's not a standard
feature of UNIX; it could be that your terminal takes those snapshots,
or that you're running under some window system that does so.

dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) (12/06/88)

In article <17663@adm.BRL.MIL> gyounger@ardec.arpa (AED-EWD) writes:
>Here are a couple things that have puzzled me. Hope you have an
>explanation.
>This week I had just completed a unix command and was viewing the file
>sent to the screen. Without realising it , I must have touched a key board
>key to get a command or statement just below the screen;I noticed the
>words "taking a snapshot". What is this? And what really happened? On another
>occasion,I experienced the following while working with my unix file:again
>by accidently hitting a key,which one I don't know,the area just below the
>screen in the black and white area turned green and I found myself in the
>capture mode.What key did I hit accidently to do this?

Off hand, I'd say that you were using CrossTalk on your IBM-PC.  Crosstalk
allows you to take a snapshot of the current screen and save it in a file
on your PC, it also allows you to capture data as it appears on your screen
and to save that data on your PC.  These functions are assigned to a couple
of your PC's function keys.  Check your manual for more information, or try
typing 'help fkeys', 'help snapshot', and 'help save' on your Crosstalk
command line for more details.

functions provided by your terminal emulation software on your PC, check
your manual.

--
dan@lclark
tektronix!reed!lclark!dan			Dylsexics untie! (-|