[comp.unix.questions] 110--->220 Adapter for Norway operation

hxn8477%njitx.decnet@njitc.njit.edu (NJITX::HXN8477) (12/09/88)

In article <3287@sdsu.UUCP> knut@sdsu.UUCP (Knut B. Haaland) writes:
>Does anybody know if there exists special adaptors converting from
>110V to 220V for computers?

Well, there are nowadays adapteres that are very light (They weigh ounces
as opposed to pounds).  Probably your cousin used one of them.  These
adapters are intended for electric (as opposed to electronic) appliances,
such as irons, heaters, etc....  Their output voltage is not stable, nor
is it a perfect sine wave as needed by senstive electronic equipment
such as computers, radios, medical devices etc.....  For this latter
class of equipment, a regular adapter is needed.  That adapter normally
is very heavy because it contains an iron core transformer with copper
winding.  It usually contains a regulator at the output also.  With
a transformer you get as perfect a sine wave at the output as there is
at the input.  With the regulator, you get a very stable output voltage.
As far as the frequncy is concerned, it has no effect.  In the US and
Canada, the power frequency is 60 Hz, but in Norway, as in the almost
all other countries for that matter, the frequency is 50 Hz.  Unfortunately,
you cannot find a frequncy adapter.  In other words, there is no such thing
as 110, 60 Hz ---> 220, 50 Hz adapter.  Luckily, though, that is not needed
because inside  the computer every thing i the computer powerter's
supply.is as far as the AC power goes.  The effect of the frequency on the
power supply is minscule.
So, I would say go ahead and buy a regular 220:110 adapter and let'er fly.
My friends who have gone back to Egypt use that and it works terrifically,
and I am going to do the same thing sometime soon.

                  .;;;.             ..
    /\           //^|^\\          .'..;   Disclaimer: I don't have to
   /  \  /\         |     _/~~\_.'.'      disclaim any thing, simply because
  /    \/  \  /\    |   ,(_     )         I don't have an employer.
|Hamed Nassar               |Internet  : hxn8477%njitx.decnet@njitc.njit.edu |
|EE Department              |UUCP      : bellcore!argus!mars!nancy           |
|NJ Institute of Technology |CompuServe: 74000,130                           |

------