[comp.unix.questions] relationship between uucico and stty

mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) (12/06/88)

I have a question about the relationship between uucico and stty.

Let's suppose we do have uucp sites A and B which talk to each other via a
dial-up line using standard 1200/2400 modems. Both are system V sites and are
using HDB's UUCP.

Suppose machine A is calling machine B with uucico. The stty parameters of the
B side of the line will be set according to the /etc/gettydefs entry correspon-
ding to the /etc/inittab line for that tty port.

My question is: What does set the stty parameters for the calling side???

Merci a l'avance :-)
--
     Mario Dorion              | E-mail: mdorion@X02.UUCP
     XIOS Systems              |         ...uunet!attcan!cmtl01!X02!mdorion

mikej@tfli.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (12/10/88)

In article <139@cmtl01.UUCP> mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) writes:

>Suppose machine A is calling machine B with uucico. The stty parameters of the
>B side of the line will be set according to the /etc/gettydefs entry correspon-
>ding to the /etc/inittab line for that tty port.
>
>My question is: What does set the stty parameters for the calling side???

I would think that uucico would set its own tty parameters on the calling and
called machines. I.E. the master uucico sets its own paramters and makes the
call. On the receiving end, as soon as the login session is initiated uucico is
invoked as the shell. THe first (or one of the first) thing it does is set
tty modes. No?

--
---
                Michael R. Johnston - @NET: mikej@cpmain.uucp

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (12/10/88)

In article <139@cmtl01.UUCP> mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) writes:

>I have a question about the relationship between uucico and stty.
[....]
>Suppose machine A is calling machine B with uucico. The stty parameters of the
>B side of the line will be set according to the /etc/gettydefs entry correspon-
>ding to the /etc/inittab line for that tty port.
>
>My question is: What does set the stty parameters for the calling side???

Quite simple really, uucico simply does a couple of ioctl calls, first to
get the port parameters which it will save in one structure. then it will
modify them to suit its needs and do another ioctl call to set the new
parameters on the port. On exit it will normally reset the port to the
state it found it in upon entry.

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (12/11/88)

>Suppose machine A is calling machine B with uucico. The stty parameters of the
>B side of the line will be set according to the /etc/gettydefs entry correspon-
>ding to the /etc/inittab line for that tty port.
>
>My question is: What does set the stty parameters for the calling side???

"uucico".  It chooses the baud rate based on assorted configuration
files (see the documentation), and chooses most of the rest of the
options based on "what works with the 'g' protocol", i.e. 8 bits, no
parity, no special input processing, OPOST off.  (It may choose other
options with protocols other than "g".)

In fact, since "uucico" will be fired up on machine B when machine A
logs in, the slave "uucico" will *also* choose most of the rest of the
options based on what the "g" protocol wants; the input baud rate will
be established by the login procedure, but a lot of the other settings
established by the login procedure will be discarded.  I.e., the slave
"uucico" will choose 8 bits, no parity, no special input processing,
OPOST off.