[comp.unix.questions] AWK on a PC?

eravin@dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) (11/15/88)

Does anyone manufacture a compiler for AWK on an IBM PC?  Money is no
object.  One of my associates has an AWK program that he developed using
the MKS Toolkit Unix-lookalike tools for the PC, but wants to distribute
a standalone version of it (e.g., without interpreter, especially without
someone else's interpreter).

As my associate doesn't speak netnews, please direct replies to
	charles@trintex.UUCP

		Thanks in advance...
--
Ed Ravin                  | cucard!dasys1!eravin | "A mind is a terrible thing
(BigElectricCatPublicUNIX)| eravin@dasys1.UUCP   | to waste-- boycott TV!"

lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (11/18/88)

In article <7660@dasys1.UUCP>, eravin@dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) writes:
> Does anyone manufacture a compiler for AWK on an IBM PC?  Money is no
> object.  One of my associates has an AWK program that he developed using
> the MKS Toolkit Unix-lookalike tools for the PC, but wants to distribute
> a standalone version of it (e.g., without interpreter, especially without
> someone else's interpreter).

I sent Charles this mail and am posting it as there might be some interest.
The AT&T Toolchest sells a program called "awkcc" which is a AWK to C
translator.  Awkcc translates "new awk" programs into C which are then compiled
with cc.  The main purpose for awkcc is to speed up programs, speed up factors
between 2 and 6 are common, however, some awk scripts are faster than the
generated C code.

The toolchest advertises that it works on these machines 3B2, 3B20, DEC VAX,
68000, and IBM MAXI/AMDAHL.  The toolchest advertises that works on SVR3 and
BSD based operating systems.  I built it successfully on a 3B20 running SVR2.
It shouldn't be too hard to port to a PC.

The cost is $175.00 for source and $2000.00 for binary sublicensing.  The
$175.00 lets you distribute source and binary for awkcc in unlimited number on
your own companies machines.  The $2000.00 lets you distribute binary for
awkcc in unlimited number on customer machines.  In this case, Charles only
needs to pay $175.00 for awkk, and since he isn't register with the AT&T
Toolchest nor has a UNIX source license, its another $100.00 to register.
The reason for the low price is the lack of support for the program.  What a
bargain!

The AT&T Toolchest can be reached via dialup at 1200 baud.
The phone number is (201) 522-6900, login as guest, no password.

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OH,

phr@web-2a.berkeley.edu (Paul Rubin) (11/19/88)

I believe the free GNU Awk interpreter `gawk' (written by Jay Fenlason
and me) has been ported to the PC.  It is compatible with the old Unix
awk and runs a little bit faster.  A compressed tar file for anonymous
ftp is in /u2/emacs/awk.tar.Z on Internet host prep.ai.mit.edu.
I think someone has written the new awk extensions and is now testing
them, but that version is not yet released.

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Daniel Smith) (12/03/88)

In article <2203@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>In article <7660@dasys1.UUCP>, eravin@dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) writes:
>> Does anyone manufacture a compiler for AWK on an IBM PC?  Money is no
>> object.  One of my associates has an AWK program that he developed using
Check the ads in Byte Magazine.  Someone is selling a program called
PolyAWK for the PC.   I don't know any of the details, but if you like
AWK, the ad makes this sound like a real good product.

J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr

Great things can be reduced to small things, and small things can be
reduced to nothing.
              - Chinese Proverb

dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) (12/04/88)

>In article <2203@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>In article <7660@dasys1.UUCP>, eravin@dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) writes:
>> Does anyone manufacture a compiler for AWK on an IBM PC?  Money is no
>> object.  One of my associates has an AWK program that he developed using

MKS Toolkit from Morton Kern Systems is the unix-like environment for
the PC.  It comes with vi and awk for the PC.  vi and awk are also
each available separately.  I saw awk at a local software store here
for about $65.
--
David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (12/06/88)

In article <2715@skivs.UUCP> dr@skivs.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
~~In article <2203@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
~~In article <7660@dasys1.UUCP>, eravin@dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) writes:
~~~ Does anyone manufacture a compiler for AWK on an IBM PC?  Money is no
                              ^^^^^^^^
~
~MKS Toolkit from Morton Kern Systems is the unix-like environment for
~the PC.  It comes with vi and awk for the PC.  vi and awk are also
~each available separately.  I saw awk at a local software store here
~for about $65.

Yes, but what's that have to do with an awk COMPILER?

~David Robins, M.D.
              ^^^^^

I thought they taught you guys to listen.
:-)

--
Rick Farris
RF Engineering       |  rfarris@serene.cts.com  | voice     619 259-6793

sme@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Simon Elliott) (12/08/88)

In article <1227@cps3xx.UUCP>, smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Daniel Smith) writes:
> In article <2203@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
> >In article <7660@dasys1.UUCP>, eravin@dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) writes:
> >> Does anyone manufacture a compiler for AWK on an IBM PC?  Money is no
> >> object.  One of my associates has an AWK program that he developed using
> Check the ads in Byte Magazine.  Someone is selling a program called
> PolyAWK for the PC.   I don't know any of the details, but if you like
> AWK, the ad makes this sound like a real good product.

I know of two other possibilities:
GNU AWK (GAWK) was posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc a while ago; it should be in
the archives.  There was an update called GAWK 1.03 also.  Source and binary.

The other implementation is mentioned in 'The AWK Programming Language' by
Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan (Addison Wesley, 1988).  They (AT&T? A-W?)
do an implementation of AWK for PC's, including the 1985 revisions to the
language (functions, new builtins, ...)

Hope this helps.
Simon Elliott            Internet: sme%v1.cm.cf.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
UWCC Computer Centre     JANET:    sme@uk.ac.cf.cm.v1
40/41 Park Place         UUCP:     {backbones}!mcvax!ukc!reading!cf-cm!sme
Cardiff, Wales           PHONE:    +44 222 874300

gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) (12/11/88)

The MKS toolkit comes with `new' awk, plus TONS of other goodies for
a UNIX-style environment on top of DOS.  The whole toolkit goes for
about $130 mail-order--a clear price/performance winner!
-- Greg McGary
-- 4201 University Drive #102, Durham, NC 27707   (919) 490-6037
-- {decvax,hplabs,seismo,mcnc}!duke!gm
--				    gm@cs.duke.edu

rwberry@hubcap.UUCP (Robert W Berry) (12/11/88)

From article <13033@duke.cs.duke.edu>, by gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary):
> The MKS toolkit comes with `new' awk, plus TONS of other goodies for
> a UNIX-style environment on top of DOS.  The whole toolkit goes for
> about $130 mail-order--a clear price/performance winner!

     Is there anyone out there that can tell me where to find a mail
order house that sells the MKS Toolkit.  I've checked through the PC
Magazines and Bytes that I have, and I don't recall seeing the toolkits
for sale anywhere.  Am I just looking in the wrong places?

     Just a good pointer to a magazine with the number of a mail order
house that carries this package woudl help a lot.

     Sorry if this has been hashed over and over again in this group.  I
don't remember seeing it, but then I've only been reading the net for
about 4 months.

> -- Greg McGary
> -- 4201 University Drive #102, Durham, NC 27707   (919) 490-6037
> -- {decvax,hplabs,seismo,mcnc}!duke!gm
> --				    gm@cs.duke.edu

     Thanks in advance,
     Bob

-=- Bob Berry -=- PC-Guru's Inc. ! INTERNET:rwberry@hubcap.clemson.edu  -=-
-=- Good questions all, Sir.     ! Voice: 803-654-7623 or 803-656-2635  -=-

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (12/11/88)

In article <583@cf-cm.UUCP> sme@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Simon Elliott) writes:
 >> Check the ads in Byte Magazine.  Someone is selling a program called
 >> PolyAWK for the PC.   I don't know any of the details, but if you like
 >> AWK, the ad makes this sound like a real good product.
 >
 >I know of two other possibilities:
 >GNU AWK (GAWK) was posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc a while ago; it should be in
 >the archives.  There was an update called GAWK 1.03 also.  Source and binary.
 >
 >The other implementation is mentioned in 'The AWK Programming Language' by
 >Aho, Weinberger, and Kernighan (Addison Wesley, 1988).  They (AT&T? A-W?)
 >do an implementation of AWK for PC's, including the 1985 revisions to the
 >language (functions, new builtins, ...)

Actually, I heard a while ago that the version of AWK for the PC referred to
in the book is the MKS implementation.

A small model version comes as part of the MKS Toolkit ($199 from MKS, ca. $169
from various mailorder sources like Programmer's Connection.).

A large model version is sold separately by MKS for $99 (seen for $79 in
mailorder ads)

MKS can be reached by email as follows: uunet!watmath!mks!toolkit
By phone: 800-265-2797 (US) or 519-884-2251 (elsewhere)

Disclaimer: I have no connection with MKS except as a satisfied customer.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

poage@sunny.UUCP (Tom Poage) (12/11/88)

>>In article <7660@dasys1.UUCP>, eravin@dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) writes:
>>> Does anyone manufacture a compiler for AWK on an IBM PC?  Money is no
>>> object.  One of my associates has an AWK program that he developed using

A compiler, per se, may be difficult to come by.  However, the good
Misters A., W. and K. provide an example in their recent book (what
else, "AWK") that uses this language to translate AWK code into C.  I
guess the C compiler is up to you. :-)  Anyhow, this "compiler" is very
limited in scope -- a good deal is left as an exercise for the reader --
but it is useful.

And if that's not good enough, they (or rather AT&T) offer AWK source
code (in C I rashly assume) for Unixoids and IBM PC types.  With a
little or a lot of tweaking, the code for the AWK interpreter could be
turned into an AWK compiler.  Let me know when this happens!

Tom.

Tom Poage, UCDMC Clinical Engineering, Sacto., CA
ucdavis.ucdavis.edu!sunny!{poage,root,postmaster,news}
ucbvax!ucdavis!sunny!{poage,root,postmaster,news}
--

In article <3827@hubcap.UUCP> rwberry@hubcap.UUCP (Robert W Berry) writes:
>     Is there anyone out there that can tell me where to find a mail
>order house that sells the MKS Toolkit.  I've checked through the PC
>Magazines and Bytes that I have, and I don't recall seeing the toolkits
>for sale anywhere.  Am I just looking in the wrong places?
>
>     Just a good pointer to a magazine with the number of a mail order
>house that carries this package woudl help a lot.

The magazines to look in are PC-Tech Journal and Dr. Dobbs--these
are the publications specifically aimed at programmers.  Some of the
bigger mail-order shops are Programmer's-Connection, Programmer's-Shop,
and PC-Connection.  They usually have double-page ads every month.
Just because something is not listed in their ad doesn't mean the don't
have it though.  If somthing isn't listed, call for a quote.  I've only
dealt with Programmer's-Shop so far (MKS, & Turbo-C) and am very satisfied
with their service & promptness of delivery.

Hope this helps!

rwberry@hubcap.UUCP (Robert W Berry) (12/12/88)

From article <13036@duke.cs.duke.edu>, by gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary):
> In article <3827@hubcap.UUCP> rwberry@hubcap.UUCP (Robert W Berry) writes:
>>     Is there anyone out there that can tell me where to find a mail
>>     Just a good pointer to a magazine with the number of a mail order
>>house that carries this package woudl help a lot.
>
> The magazines to look in are PC-Tech Journal and Dr. Dobbs--these
     Thanks to the many people that sent responses (about 30 at last
count)  I think I'll get in touch with the Programmer's Connection, they
seem to be far and away the most popular.  And their price is not too
bad either.
    Once again thanks,
    Bob
> -- Greg McGary
> -- 4201 University Drive #102, Durham, NC 27707   (919) 490-6037
> -- {decvax,hplabs,seismo,mcnc}!duke!gm
> --				    gm@cs.duke.edu

From vn Sun Dec 11 19:47:49 1988

Subject: Re: AWK on a PC?