[comp.unix.questions] ksh and System 5

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (12/09/88)

I thought system 5 was either public domain or at least part of the
standard system 5 release.  I was just told by someone at Everex that
AT&T told them that they could not distribute ksh with their system 5
port unless they license it as well.

Microport includes ksh.  Anyone know the facts behind the rumors?
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (12/10/88)

In article <1575@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>Microport includes ksh.  Anyone know the facts behind the rumors?

The real Korn shell is the property of AT&T and is available for
sublicensing.  Presumably Microport paid the sublicensing fees.

You can get ksh sources from the AT&T UNIX System ToolChest for
site-wide use for a reasonable fee (a couple of thousand $ as I
recall).  The ToolChest also offers sublicensing arrangements
for additional fees.

Some release of UNIX System V may include ksh (it wasn't in SVR3.0,
and I don't know what has been added through SVR3.2).

It is possible that somebody has a compatible implementation of
ksh not based on AT&T sources, but I don't know of any.

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (12/11/88)

 >I thought system 5 was either public domain or at least part of the
 >standard system 5 release.  I was just told by someone at Everex that
 >AT&T told them that they could not distribute ksh with their system 5
 >port unless they license it as well.

I shall assume that your first reference to "system 5" should be to "the
Korn shell" instead; System V is definitely not public domain, but is
defintiely part of the standard System V release :-).

The Korn shell is based on the Bourne shell, and is not public domain;
it is also not part of the standard System V release.  Last I'd heard,
you have to get binary licensing rights from AT&T in order to distribute
it in binary form; at that time, the licensing fee was a one-time fee of
somewhere around US$20,000.

 >Microport includes ksh.  Anyone know the facts behind the rumors?

Microport presumably paid the fee in question, and is either passing it
on as part of the licensing fee or just swallowed it.

Just a quick comment re: ksh on AT&T UNIX boxes ...

ksh does accompany the UNIXpc system software distribution; the UNIXpc is
also known as "3B1" and "PC 7300".

Thad Floryan [thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

mike@mks.UUCP (Mike Brookbank) (12/12/88)

In article <9126@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:

> The real Korn shell is the property of AT&T and is available for
> sublicensing.
>
> It is possible that somebody has a compatible implementation of
> ksh not based on AT&T sources, but I don't know of any.

My firm, MKS Inc., has a Unix-compatible version of the Ksh which is not based
on AT&T sources.  We originally developed the Ksh for use on Dos-based
machines and then recompiled the code to run on Xenix 286 and 386, Microport
and 386ix machines.
386ix machines.

     Mike Brookbank                          Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!mike
   35 King St. North                             BIX: join mks
Waterloo, Ontario  N2J 2W9                  CompuServe: 73260,1043
--

mleclerc@cmtl01.UUCP (Martin Leclerc) (12/13/88)

In article <12445@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> Just a quick comment re: ksh on AT&T UNIX boxes ...
>
> ksh does accompany the UNIXpc system software distribution; the UNIXpc is
> also known as "3B1" and "PC 7300".

And it may please you to know that ksh will be included in V.4.0 :-)

--
 	Martin Leclerc		:	...!attmail!mleclerc
	AT&T Canada		:	...!attcan!cmtl01!mleclerc