[comp.unix.questions] tip problem

nba1815@dsacng1.UUCP (Frank Cook) (07/21/87)

I've got a problem.  Our installation has three Gould powernodes
all having hardwires to each other so users can tip from on machine to          the other.  Which works fine unless you are root and try to tip,
the remote machine doesn't recognize root's passwd.  Could this be a "security
feature", for lack of a better term, of tip or is something else hosing up the
login procedure ?

Thanks in advance.
--
Frank P. Cook    DLA Systems Automation Center, Battle Creek, MI 49017
UUCP:            {seismo!gould,cbatt!osu-eddie}!dsacg1!dsacng1!fcdemp

mzw9022@ddmtg1.UUCP (grinder) (07/22/87)

In article <154@dsacng1.UUCP>, nba1815@dsacng1.UUCP (Frank Cook) writes:

> the remote machine doesn't recognize root's passwd.  Could this be a "security
> feature", for lack of a better term, of tip or is something else hosing up the
> login procedure ?

Yes it is a security feature. It is in /etc/ttys.
In order to log in as root on any one port (tty)
the word secure has to be included in the tty file for that
port.

--
Valerie Grinder   (DEFENSE DEPOT MEMPHIS TENNESEE)
2163 Airways BLVD

ssi@usfvax2.EDU (Ssi) (12/15/88)

I'm having trouble with tip(1) to a computer system that
does not put a newline or carriage return at the end of
an output line. It does put a linefeed (octal 012) at
the end. The comdev on the system is an adm3a with the
dip switches set for auto-newline. I have a hardwire
connection to a remote diag port that echoes the comdev.
  How can I set up an /etc/remote entry catch `end-of-line'
and `end-of-file' on commands/files from this system??

                       Thanks in advance,
                      Greg Ripp (813)628-6100
                       usfvax2.edu!system1!greg
                    ...!uunet!pdn!usfvax2!system1!greg