[comp.unix.questions] Inode table overflow

pete@ittg_me.UUCP (2301) (12/10/88)

I have a problem I believe I saw discussed awhile back.  I'm
sorry to rehash this if it was real recent.  But ...
I have not been able to keep up with all the discussions in
these 'comp.unix.???' groups.

Hardware: 80386 with an ESDI 150 Meg Hard disk and 4 Meg of mem.
	   consensys corp. powerports board, wyse 50 terminals.

SCO Xenix 386 rel 2.2.3, fund accounting software, Smart, etc.,...

The hard disk is divided into partitions of:

	46, 40, 40, 12  Meg
	/   u   v   w	partitions

Last week 'u' was filled and I got a disk full message.  Deleted the
excess and cleaned it up a bit (maybe not enough). Since then I keep
getting the error message

Inode table overflow

(quickey: Anyone know where Lindsay Cleveland is now.  He used
	to be at 'akgua'.)

Thanks,

--

Pete
** No disclaimers needed where I work. **

pete@ittg.UUCP (2301) (12/15/88)

In article <1034@ittg_me.UUCP> pete@ittg_me.UUCP (System Administrator @ 207-796-2301) writes:

>Last week 'u' was filled and I got a disk full message.  Deleted the
>excess and cleaned it up a bit (maybe not enough). Since then I keep
>getting the error message
>
>Inode table overflow
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I found, by further digging, that the problem occurs when there
are too many files and/or inodes open at the same moment.  I
had to re-configure the kernal.  Here are the changes:

		Old Values	New Values
NINODE		100		150
NFILE		100		150

Once again, this applies to SCO Xenix 386; ver 2.2.3

Thanks, to anyone who was doing any searching!  Special Thanks
to Jim Logan, for giving me some areas to look into.

Pete		     Voice (207) 796-2301
uunet!usm3b2!ittg!pete
** No disclaimers needed where I work. **