[comp.unix.questions] Re^2: Problem piping "jobs"

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (12/15/88)

mikej@tfli.UUCP (Michael R.  Johnston) writes:

\In article <733@iraun1.ira.uka.de> schuetz@iraul1.ira.uka.de (Elmar Schuetz) writes:
\>I want to "kill -9" the latest submitted job in a csh-environment.
\>I mean the job with the highest number. Note, this is not always "%+".

\NOTE: Your last process does NOT necessarily have to be the highest numbered
\process attached to your tty. In particular processes wrap around after
\a certain point and start from the bottom again.

Elmar was talking about the highest JOB NUMBER, not process id:

	% jobs -l
	[1]    29479 Stopped              nn
	[2]  - 29617 Stopped              vi pipo
	[3]  + 29622 Stopped              cat > foobar

	 ^
	 job number
--
fcntl(fd, F_SETFL, FNDELAY):          |Maarten Litmaath @ VU Amsterdam:
      let's go weepin' in the corner! |maart@cs.vu.nl, mcvax!botter!maart

schuetz@iraul1.ira.uka.de (Elmar Schuetz) (12/16/88)

In article <1811@solo9.cs.vu.nl> maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
>mikej@tfli.UUCP (Michael R.  Johnston) writes:
>\NOTE: Your last process does NOT necessarily have to be the highest numbered
>\process attached to your tty. In particular processes wrap around after
>\a certain point and start from the bottom again.
>Elmar was talking about the highest JOB NUMBER, not process id:

Sorry Maarten, Michael is right. I think he is talking about job-numbers too.
Let's start as much 'sleep 999 &'s as possible ...  Anytime comes the message:
"No more processes." Let's kill the jobs [2] to [8] and do a 'jobs -l'.
The result:

[1]  +	1221 Stopped		rn -N
[8]	1609 Killed		sleep 999
[9]	1610 Running		sleep 999
[10]	1612 Running		sleep 999
...						[ [11] to [48] deleted ]
[49]	1652 Running		sleep 999
[50] -	1653 Running		sleep 999

Now let's start another three 'sleep 888 &'s. And see, their job-numbers are
[2], [3] and [4].

[1]  +	1221 Stopped		rn -N
[2]	1660 Running		sleep 888
[3]	1661 Running		sleep 888
[4]	1662 Running		sleep 888	[This *is* the latest job !!! ]
[9]	1610 Running		sleep 999
[10]	1612 Running		sleep 999
...						[ [11] to [48] deleted ]
[49]	1652 Running		sleep 999
[50] -	1653 Running		sleep 999

Well, [4] is not the highest number at all.
But normally this won't happen.

Cheers, Elmar
--
My VAX might think I'm crazy starting so many useless 'sleep's.