[comp.unix.questions] proprietary OSs

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (12/20/88)

(Moving this from comp.sys.ibm.pc to comp.unix.questions.)

In article <4330119@hpindda.HP.COM> hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) writes:
>While I agree with your prediction of
>the role of Unix in the next few years, I can also see why there continue
>to be propietary OSs.  One reason is the inefficiencies of Unix.  I am no
>Unix kernel expert, so I don't pretend to know why, but I have seen that
>a propietary OS can support many more time-sharing users than Unix when
>both are run on the same hardware.

Counterarguments are possible.  For example:

o    Proprietary OSs often support more users than UNIX by restricting
     what these users can do.  For example, they may not allow job
     control (only one active job) or make it inconvenient;  they may
     not allow pipes (got to go via disk files, slowing things down,
     so it seems like more people are doing work but each person
     is getting less done);  they may not have many of the UNIX
     utilities like mail, wc, grep, awk, etc., so you just don't
     do those things at all

o    Proprietary OSs probably don't have Usenet software, which
     may mean a lighter load on the machine.  So you read news from
     your home machine, and post an article saying that the proprietary
     OS at work is more efficient :-)

o    Proprietary OSs may require a special terminal with
     local intelligence (e.g., IBM) thus offloading much work to a
     $2,000 terminal, rather than letting you use a $500 terminal for
     the same purpose.   Thus, to support 100 active users, you might
     need an additional investment of $2000 * 100 = $200,000 (in
     addition to the cost of the central machine).  The proprietary OS
     may appear more efficient if you only looked at the cost of the
     central machine and forgot about coaxial cables, front-ends,
     terminal multiplexors, intelligent terminals, and other
     paraphernalia that the proprietary OS may *require* rather than
     just *allow*

o    UNIX is less efficient than many proprietary OSs because it is
     written mostly in C.  An individual vendor is welcome to rewrite
     more of the kernel and utilities in his own proprietary
     machine-dependent language and speed up UNIX, or a proprietary
     UNIX clone in such a machine-dependent language, without
     sacrificing compatibility with UNIX applications

o    It is possible to have a proprietary OS emulate most of the
     UNIX system calls, allowing both efficiency and portability

o    Hardware is cheap enough that the additional hardware cost to make a
     UNIX-based system as efficient as one with a proprietary OS is
     probably smaller than the additional cost in software and
     inconvenience of using a proprietary OS

By the way, UNIX itself is a proprietary OS.  Perhaps we should be talking
about "portable" and "unportable" operating systems.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (12/21/88)

In article <5254@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>(Moving this from comp.sys.ibm.pc to comp.unix.questions.)
>
>In article <4330119@hpindda.HP.COM> hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) writes:
>>While I agree with your prediction of
>>the role of Unix in the next few years, I can also see why there continue
>>to be propietary OSs.  One reason is the inefficiencies of Unix.  I am no
>>Unix kernel expert, so I don't pretend to know why, but I have seen that
>>a propietary OS can support many more time-sharing users than Unix when
>>both are run on the same hardware.
>
>Counterarguments are possible.  For example:
>
>o    Proprietary OSs often support more users than UNIX by restricting
>     what these users can do.  For example, they may not allow job
>     control (only one active job) or make it inconvenient;  they may
>     not allow pipes (got to go via disk files, slowing things down,
>     so it seems like more people are doing work but each person
>     is getting less done);  they may not have many of the UNIX
>     utilities like mail, wc, grep, awk, etc., so you just don't
>     do those things at all

I fully agree with Rahul. Several years ago I worked on a Vax 11/780 with
VMS, mostly used by physicists running batch jobs and editing using a line-
oriented editor (except for some who used edt on a vt100).

Then my (beginning computer science) department started using (Gosling) Emacs,
and started getting complaints that we were slowing down the machine.
Later I developed a few m-lisp functions for calling the Vax Pascal compiler
or Tex from Emacs, and automatically pop up a window with the error messages
and jump to the right line in the main window...
It took about 3 days before the physics department decided that this could
not be allowed and installed a limit of 1 job per user.

So this "highly efficient" operating system was only efficient if nobody
tried to do anything like what one does all the time on Unix.

Shortly thereafter we got a small 68000-based Unix box which worked much
more efficiently for us, because we could get the same job done in less time.

For similar reasons I prefer to run Unix (Xenix) on my PC instead of the
supposedly more efficient MS-DOS, because with Unix I can get the job done
in less time.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Tony Burzio) (12/21/88)

In article <5254@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> >While I agree with your prediction of
> >the role of Unix in the next few years, I can also see why there continue
> >to be propietary OSs.  One reason is the inefficiencies of Unix.  I am no
> >Unix kernel expert, so I don't pretend to know why, but I have seen that
> >a propietary OS can support many more time-sharing users than Unix when
> >both are run on the same hardware.

I continue to hear rumors that DEC is going to come up with a VMS shell
for UNIX based machines and toss the old BLISS VMS code overboard.  With
their new 15 MIP machines, they should be able to mess up UNIX enough to
allow emulation of a uVAXII :-)  Imagine, RMS emulation in UNIX.
If you think about it, VMS residing as a shell in UNIX will make Olsens'
statement that VMS is/will be OSF compliant understandable...

> By the way, UNIX itself is a proprietary OS.  Perhaps we should be talking
> about "portable" and "unportable" operating systems.

Portable?  Which version of UNIX are you using this morning?  In all
fairness, though, portability seems to be *ever* so close.  Now if the
marketing guys can keep their proprietary hands off...

Tony Burzio               * Ski Angel Fire NM...
Martin Marietta Labs      *
mmlai!burzio@uunet.uu.net *