[comp.unix.questions] ? Can I Use the DES from UNIX passwd Source code?

jimb@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Brandt) (12/17/88)

Does anyone know if the passwd UNIX source code DES algorithm is copyrighted?

The passwd uses a DES algorithm, and I believe the algorithm is public
domain, but if I used the algorithm from the source code of passwd in
another product, do I need to worry about copyright?

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (12/18/88)

In article <3600017@hpiacla.HP.COM>, jimb@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Brandt) writes:

> The passwd uses a DES algorithm, and I believe the algorithm is public
> domain, but if I used the algorithm from the source code of passwd in
> another product, do I need to worry about copyright?

Yes you do.
--
				--Andrew Koenig
				  ark@europa.att.com

jimb@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Brandt) (12/20/88)

Please stop responding to this note:

All reply indicate this would be a trade secret infringement problem.

Hence: I will go to the NBS standard provided by the government,
and use their public domain DES algorithm...

Thanks...

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (12/20/88)

In article <8557@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
}In article <3600017@hpiacla.HP.COM>, jimb@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Brandt) writes:
}> The passwd uses a DES algorithm, and I believe the algorithm is public
}> domain, but if I used the algorithm from the source code of passwd in
}> another product, do I need to worry about copyright?
}
}Yes you do.

Not only that, the passwd encryption doesn't use a pure DES algorithm
(it's "perturbed" with a "salt" variable).  Furthermore, it's deliberately
coded in an inefficient manner to discourage is use in cracking password
files.  Thus, you probably don't want to use it anyway if you want
Real(tm) DES encryption.

Your best bet is to get the specs for the DES algorithm and code your own
routine.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

fred@oravax.UUCP (Charles Mills) (12/22/88)

In article <8557@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>In article <3600017@hpiacla.HP.COM>, jimb@hpiacla.HP.COM (Jim Brandt) writes:
>> ... but if I used the algorithm from the source code of passwd in
>> another product, do I need to worry about copyright?
>
>Yes you do.

Well, perhaps I'm just being picky, but it's my understanding that you
can't copyright an algorithm, only the `tangible' form (I think that's
the adjective they use) embodying the algorithm--- namely, the
source code itself.  The ideas are free.  If you use the actual source
code _verbatim_ then you are probably violating a copyright
(depending on what you use it for, what Unix you have, what license
you have, etc.).
--
  Fred the Pedant (...!cornell!oravax!fred)   --Picky, picky, picky--