[net.cooks] manual ice cream makers

jayr@well.UUCP (Jay Roth) (10/06/85)

I was interested in making my own ice cream, however I do not yet own an
ice cream maker.  Today I saw an ice cream maker (made
in Japan) that was basically all plastic, except for the tub.  The tub
had (between the walls) some freezable liquid in it.  The gimmick is no
ice or salt is needed (just freeze the tub overnight). Does anyone
have experience with this type of ice cream maker?  Any other brands/types
to look for?  Also, any suggestions for finding ice cream makers in San
Francisco?

sdo@u1100a.UUCP (Scott Orshan) (10/07/85)

In article <212@well.UUCP> jayr@well.UUCP (Jay Roth) writes:
>       Today I saw an ice cream maker (made
>in Japan) that was basically all plastic, except for the tub.  The tub
>had (between the walls) some freezable liquid in it.  The gimmick is no
>ice or salt is needed (just freeze the tub overnight). Does anyone
>have experience with this type of ice cream maker?

I have the Donvier 1 pint version.  It is as you describe - a metal
insert filled with a freezable substance.  You simply place the beater
in it, pour the mix in, and put the cover on.  You don't even turn
it continuously - just a couple of turns every couple of minutes.
After 20 minutes you can remove the beater and eat it or let it
sit to harden a bit.  It's an incredible machine.  With an uncooked
base, you can have homemade ice cream in half an hour.  Cooked bases
have to be cooled to refrigerator temperatures first.  Make extra
because you'll want more the next day.

As recently as two weeks ago, there was a price war in New York
and Zabars had it for $19.95 - it seems to sell for $29.95
normally.  Zabars is in Manhattan - they take phone orders.
I don't know if they ship internationally.  Call them (call
Information for their number - 212-555-1212 in this country).
--

			Scott Orshan
			Bell Communications Research

chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) (10/09/85)

For manual ice cream freezers, I would higly recommend the White Mountain
brand.  Very nicely built and finished.  Last I heard (5 years ago) they
were about $65.00.

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!minnie!chris

	If things don't change, they will probably remain the same.

jerry@utrc-2at.UUCP (Jerry J. Deroo) (10/09/85)

> I was interested in making my own ice cream, however I do not yet own an
> ice cream maker.  Today I saw an ice cream maker (made
> in Japan) that was basically all plastic, except for the tub.  The tub
> had (between the walls) some freezable liquid in it.

I just got a donvier (sp) unit that makes one pint at a time that is exactly
like you describe....I have used it twice.it makes great ice cream. it takes
about 30 minutes from pouring the base into the tub to scoping the creamy stuff
out of the tub. there is a fair bit of controll...if you leave it longer between
stirring, the ice cream is more solid..if you stir more frequently, it stays
softer. in all, I am quite pleased with the usint and the ice cream it makes

barrys@hercules.UUCP (Barry Steel) (10/14/85)

BTW, you can make perfectly fine ice cream just by using metal ice cube
trays (the kind with the removable plastic dividers), or any metal pan
(bread pans works great).

Follow the recipe.  Pour 1 inch deep into pan(s).  Put into freezer.  Stir
every fifteen minutes until desired consistency.

No ice cream maker to buy, no ice, no salt, easy to do.  I does taste good.

barry steel

jayr@well.UUCP (Jay Roth) (10/27/85)

I just wanted to thank all those people who responded to my inquiry about
manual ice cream makers.  I bought a Donvier, and it works great - ice cream
in 25min without any mess, ice, or salt!  I recommend it highly.  It's also
pretty good exercise.