[comp.unix.questions] Unix file modes

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (12/24/88)

Not sure if this is the right group, but here goes:

I am going through 3 systems, to increase security (ie: file permissions,
setuid problems, shell script no-no's, and better news & uucp security).
A XENIX 5.3 version, Unix 5.2 version, and a Unix 5.3 version. Where is the
best place to get information on doing this correctly? Is there someone on
the net that has a document on how to do this effectively? Any good books out
there? A better place to post this?

--
Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation  -  UUCP: ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!dan
2821 E. Camelback Road - Suite 600 -  Phoenix, AZ  85016       WK 1-602-957-8870

jrll@Portia.Stanford.EDU (john ralls) (01/03/89)

In article <197657@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>I am going through 3 systems, to increase security
> Any good books out there?

An excellent book on UNIX System Security is titled "UNIX System
Security" (obvious, huh?) by Patrick Wood and Steven Kochan, SAMS/Hayden
1985, ISBN 0-8104-6267-2.  It covers all the stuff mentioned and more.
John