[comp.unix.questions] unix 'spell'

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (12/31/88)

I need to be able to find out what are all the words available in the
hlista compressed spell file. But how do I do it???
--
Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation  -  UUCP: ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!dan
2821 E. Camelback Road - Suite 600 -  Phoenix, AZ  85016       WK 1-602-957-8870

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (01/02/89)

In article <197660@hrc.UUCP>, dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:

> I need to be able to find out what are all the words available in the
> hlista compressed spell file. But how do I do it???

Write a program that will genererate every possible combination of
letters up to some reasonable length (say, 15 letters).  Pipe this
through spell and capture the output.  Words not in common are in
the dictionary.

      :-) :-) :-) :-)
      :-)  Steve  :-)
      :-) :-) :-) :-)

--
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.          ****Hi Mom!****        attmail!vsi!friedl

alexis@reed.UUCP (Alexis Dimitriadis) (01/05/89)

In article <197660@hrc.UUCP>, dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:

> I need to be able to find out what are all the words available in the
> hlista compressed spell file. But how do I do it???

cat /usr/dict/words

(if you have it)

-alx

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (01/06/89)

In article <11481@reed.UUCP>, alexis@reed.UUCP (Alexis Dimitriadis) writes:
> cat /usr/dict/words
>
> (if you have it)

For you BSD-ers, System V went to a hashed dictionary format, one
that probably made it run a lot faster.  On many machines (my
3B2, at least), there is no longer any /usr/dict/words :-(.  This
was probably done for security so that people won't use it to
crack the password file :-).

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.        I speak for me only      attmail!vsi!friedl

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (01/07/89)

>For you BSD-ers, System V went to a hashed dictionary format, one
>that probably made it run a lot faster.

No, V7 used a hashed dictionary format; BSD uses the V7 version, and the
S5 version is similar.  V7 and BSD built it from "/usr/dict/words" (and
some other stuff, like the American/British lists).

Some release of S5 (or maybe some release prior to it) also eliminated
"/usr/dict/words", perhaps for the reason you stated.

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (01/08/89)

In article <993@vsi.COM>, friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:

> For you BSD-ers, System V went to a hashed dictionary format...

Gee, I don't remember the hashed stuff on BSD but I guess spell
would have been unworkable had this not been the case.  Thanks to
Rich Adams :-) and Rick Salz :-) for the admonishments.

    Steve