[comp.unix.questions] lookin' 4 a book

gupta@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/04/89)

I'm looking for a good UNIX book (aren't we all?). I've got a good feel for
Unix and both C and Shell programming. I'm now interested in learning about
the communication aspect of Unix - i.e., sockets, protocols, etc. I know
very little about this area and am trying to find a book that covers this
topic in detail. Any ideas?
---
Rohit Gupta 	          Internet:   gupta%uxe.cso.uiuc.edu@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
P. O. Box 2828 - Sta A    UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uxe!gupta
Champaign, IL 61820       Bitnet: gupta@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu  gupta@UIUCVMD

Sam: "Say 'hello' to Alice and the twins for me"
Jack: "Twins? It's triplets."
Sam: "TRIPLETS!? My how time flies..."
					- Brazil

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (01/06/89)

In article <47800024@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> gupta@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I'm looking for a good UNIX book (aren't we all?). I've got a good feel for
>Unix and both C and Shell programming. I'm now interested in learning about
>the communication aspect of Unix - i.e., sockets, protocols, etc.

The best book I know of is "The Design of the UNIX Operating System" by
Bach (copyright Bell Labs).  It covers all aspects of the UNIX kernel,
including BSD-style communications.  It's not a tutorial, though, so
isn't full of examples.

More introductory is "An Introduction to Berkeley UNIX" by Wang.  It's
more detailed than the title indicates, and includes a section on sockets
and networking.

Also very good is "Advanced UNIX Programming" by Rochkind.  It discusses
AT&T UNIX exclusively, though, which means FIFO's, messages, semaphores,
and shared memory, but no sockets.

You should also check the BSD 4.3 UNIX manuals.  They include a good
section of IPC and networking, which covers most of the material in the
above books.

There is a Waite book called something like "UNIX Communications".  It
is generally garbage, covering only a small portion of UNIX's
communications facilities, and no inter-process communication at all.

Ken
--
uucp:  uunet!daisy!klee		arpanet:  daisy!klee@uunet.uu.net
"This Lt. Col. is not gonna challenge a decision of the Commander-In-Chief ...

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/08/89)

In article <47800024@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> gupta@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
+------------------
|I'm looking for a good UNIX book (aren't we all?). I've got a good feel for
|Unix and both C and Shell programming. I'm now interested in learning about
|the communication aspect of Unix - i.e., sockets, protocols, etc. I know
|very little about this area and am trying to find a book that covers this
|topic in detail. Any ideas?

	"Operating System Design, Volume 2 - Internetworking with XINU"
	Douglas Comer
	Prentice-Hall, 1987

|Rohit Gupta 	          Internet:   gupta%uxe.cso.uiuc.edu@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
|P. O. Box 2828 - Sta A    UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uxe!gupta
|Champaign, IL 61820       Bitnet: gupta@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu  gupta@UIUCVMD
|
|Sam: "Say 'hello' to Alice and the twins for me"
|Jack: "Twins? It's triplets."
|Sam: "TRIPLETS!? My how time flies..."
|					- Brazil

Cheers,