[comp.unix.questions] termcap entry needed for IBM 3270

miorelli@pwa-b.UUCP (BoB Miorelli) (01/12/89)

We have a mode where our IBM users use telnet to log into our Unix
system (4.3 BSD, VAX 750) over the Ethernet.  It works, except that
terminal type IBM 3270 is unknown and Unix assigns the terminal type 'unknown'
which, of course, is the same as 'dumb'.  If anyone has a 3270 termcap
entry it would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--

-->BoB Miorelli, Pratt & Whitney Aircraft
           also, H & R Block tax preparer and Instructor

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/14/89)

In article <236@pwa-b.UUCP> miorelli@pwa-b.UUCP (BoB Miorelli) writes:
>We have a mode where our IBM users use telnet to log into our Unix
>system (4.3 BSD, VAX 750) over the Ethernet.  It works, except that
>terminal type IBM 3270 is unknown and Unix assigns the terminal type 'unknown'
>which, of course, is the same as 'dumb'.  If anyone has a 3270 termcap
>entry it would certainly be appreciated.

I don't think it's feasible to use the IBM 3270 in curses mode.
A termcap entry for the IBM 3270 would look remarkably like the
one for "dumb" terminals.

Perhaps you can find a software emulation of a real ASCII terminal
that can be used in conjunction with an IBM 3270 display unit.

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (01/16/89)

<

In article <9372@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
< I don't think it's feasible to use the IBM 3270 in curses mode.
< A termcap entry for the IBM 3270 would look remarkably like the
< one for "dumb" terminals.

Gee, maybe he should get a *blit* :-) :-)

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.       I speak for you only      attmail!vsi!friedl