[comp.unix.questions] UNIX 9th edition

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/14/89)

In article <19070@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>I've heard recently of something called  9th edition UNIX being used at
>Bell Labs.  How does this fit in UNIX family tree. I thought all UNIX
>coming out of would be Sys V, SysV.4 being the next generation.

UNIX System V is the commercial AT&T UNIX product.
9th Edition UNIX is used only internally by some of the Bell Labs
research staff, plus a small number of selected outside sites
that were considered to be likely to contribute to its development
(just a few universities so far as I know).
Many of 8th and 9th Edition UNIX's innovations eventually appeared
(usually in somewhat altered form) in the commercial product.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/15/89)

In article <9374@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>Many of 8th and 9th Edition UNIX's innovations eventually appeared
>(usually in somewhat altered form) in the commercial product.

I think you mean `adulterated.'       [  :-)  ?  ]

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (01/16/89)

In article <15471@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <9374@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>Many of 8th and 9th Edition UNIX's innovations eventually appeared
>>(usually in somewhat altered form) in the commercial product.
>
>I think you mean `adulterated.'       [  :-)  ?  ]

No I think the original poster really just meant "altered". This covers
the range from "improved" to "garbled".

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (01/16/89)

In article <8767@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>No I think the original poster really just meant "altered". This covers
>the range from "improved" to "garbled".

Yup.
UNIX System V is a strange mixture of excellent and poor,
depending on what part you look at.  I don't know if it's
getting a LOT better, but it tries to be more reliable
than the research software, and sometimes accommodates a
wider variety of applications.  But it sure is big!