[comp.unix.questions] Comparing TeX and Roff

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) (01/22/89)

[this really doesn't belong in wizard.  I have directed followups to
comp.text]

In article <1269@etive.ed.ac.uk> sam@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (S. Manoharan) writes:
>The disadvantage I found with TeX was there is
>no way to get a readable output of the TeX file on an
>ordinary line-printer.

You can get TeX to do line-printers with care.  dvidoc (PLUG: get it
from the TeX depository here at Clarkson) does it.  It really only
works in LaTeX but can be made to work with TeX.  Bascially it
replaces all of the variable width fonts with mono spaced fonts and
redefies some macros.

Realise this is a hack: you can't do math; use pictex; use latex
picture fonts.  This isn't unreasonable as lineprinters don't do these
sort of things.

If you want my honest opinion, if you really want to use line-printers
use your favorite *roff but if you primarilly use laser printers and
every now and then need to generate line-printer output (say for
distribution of docs on the net) then use LaTeX.  It really does do
the best job when it comes to typesetting text and math on a bit-image
printer.

--

Michael DeCorte // (315)265-2439 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676
Internet: mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  // Bitnet:   mrd@clutx.bitnet

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (01/23/89)

In article <1269@etive.ed.ac.uk> sam@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (S. Manoharan) writes:
}
}A few weeks ago there was an article on the net asking to compare
}both TeX and roff.
}
}I tried to learn both and observed the following:
}...
}   The disadvantage I found with TeX was there is
}   no way to get a readable output of the TeX file on an
}   ordinary line-printer. [ Laser prints cost $$$s as well as time,
}   and hence are no joke ] A "detex" tool to strip the TeX commands is
}   available but it does not produce readable output on the
}   line-printer/terminal.
}
If you mean the real (expensive) lineprinters you are correct, but I assume
you mean ordinary cheap dot-matrix printers, for which drivers for Tex are
available. They do in general print very slowly, but produce very nice
results compared to nroff.

>PS:   Is there any tool to translate roff text to latex text
>or vice versa??  [ I have a code ( crude! ) to translate roff to
>latex but that works only for selected macros of ms package ]

I have given some explanations in an earlier posting as to why it is
impossible to translate troff to tex or latex. The existing tools handle
a small part of troff, and most of the common macro-packages and preprocessors.
But not the raw troff. Vice versa is also not available. But there exists
a dvit Tex-dvi output to ditroff-dvi output converter. So you can use the
same troff printer drivers with tex. (Don't know if that's PD).

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |