[comp.unix.questions] SVR3.2 backward compatibility

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (01/21/89)

   I've been trying to follow the remarks about the release of 3.2
Unix from a couple vendors. If I understand what everyone is saying,
3.2 is supposed to have "binary compatibility" with the other Unix's
of the world.

   My question is, will only the various 3.2 releases from each of the
vendors have binary compatibility with the *other* 3.2 releases; or
will it also work with current 3.0/3.1 releases ?

   For example, Im running Microport V/386 3.0 now. When 3.2 is released,
will I be able to run binaries that are now on my machine ? Obviously
the stuff that I have source for can be recompiled. But I was concerned
about commercial add-on's that I have in binary-only form. Will they,
as well, run on 3.2 or must I purchase new binaries ?  Thanks!

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (01/24/89)

In article <214@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    I've been trying to follow the remarks about the release of 3.2
> Unix from a couple vendors. If I understand what everyone is saying,
> 3.2 is supposed to have "binary compatibility" with the other Unix's
> of the world.

>    My question is, will only the various 3.2 releases from each of the
> vendors have binary compatibility with the *other* 3.2 releases; or
> will it also work with current 3.0/3.1 releases ?

It is even better than it sounds.  Binary compatibility includes all
of the System 5 COFF programs for the 386 and I expect the 286) as
well as XENIX binaries for the 8086, 80286 and 80386.  I tried a few
XENIX binaries on ENIX over the weekend.  All worked fine.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl