[comp.unix.questions] How to let .rhosts just say no ?

hans@duttnph.UUCP (Hans Buurman) (01/23/89)

I have an account on machine x and on machine y. On y, x is in the
/etc/hosts.equiv file. The accounts have the same user name z.

Can I prevent z@x from logging in on y without giving a passwd ?
I tried things like "-x z" and "-x" in ~/.rhosts on y.

Y is a Sun (SunOs 4.0), X is a Vax (Ultrix 2.2) if it matters.
I don't have super user permisssions on both machines (legally).

Thanks in advance,

	Hans

Hans Buurman                   | hans@duttnph.UUCP
Pattern Recognition Group      | mcvax!hp4nl!dutrun!duttnph!hans
Faculty of Applied Physics     | tel. 31 - (0) 15 - 78 46 94
Delft University of Technology |

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/24/89)

In article <616@dutrun.UUCP> hans@duttnph.UUCP (Hans Buurman) writes:
>I have an account on machine x and on machine y. On y, x is in the
>/etc/hosts.equiv file. The accounts have the same user name z.
>Can I prevent z@x from logging in on y without giving a passwd ?

No.

Your systems administrator has decided that machine x is at least as
secure as machine y, and further that machine y is certain to be able
to tell that a message that purports to be from machine x is in fact
from machine x; or that, to whatever extent those two assertions may be
false, their value is worth more than their potential ill effects.

If your systems administrator did not mean that, it% should not have
said that.
-----
% non-sexist non-animist pronoun :-)