[comp.unix.questions] STARLAN/RFS under 3.2.1

vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) (01/12/89)

I'm having a problem with my STARLAN and RFS software - it seems I have
the wrong version(s) of something for 3.2.1.

I'm currently running 3.1.1 on several 3B2/600's, with this software:

AT&T STARLAN NETWORK Access Unit Package: Release 1.1.0 Version 1
AT&T STARLAN NETWORK Program Package: Release 1.1.0 Version 1
Networking Support Utilities: Release 1 Version 1
Remote File Sharing Utilities: Issue 1 Version 1

Oh, this is the 1MB STARLAN package.

This works OK.

Under 3.2.1, the same software causes a PANIC. The message for the PANIC says
something about kernel alignment.

I assume there is a version conflict with 3.2.1 somewhere.

Can anyone out there tell me the correct version numbers?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Vince

--
Vincent C. Hatem
e-mail: {any Action Central site || att}!attibr!vch

hjespers@attcan.UUCP (Hans Jespersen) (01/12/89)

In article <92@attibr.UUCP> vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
>I'm having a problem with my STARLAN and RFS software - it seems I have
>the wrong version(s) of something for 3.2.1.
>
>I'm currently running 3.1.1 on several 3B2/600's, with this software:
>
>AT&T STARLAN NETWORK Access Unit Package: Release 1.1.0 Version 1
>AT&T STARLAN NETWORK Program Package: Release 1.1.0 Version 1
>Networking Support Utilities: Release 1 Version 1
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Remote File Sharing Utilities: Issue 1 Version 1

When you upgrade to 3.2.1 you don't get NSU 1.2 (as you do with the
386 UNIX 3.2). Network Support Utilities 1.2 is required to run
ISO Starlan (Release 3) at either 1 Mbit or 10 Mbit. NSU 1.2 is a
separately orderable product (PEC 1041-502).

Hans Jespersen          UUCP: uunet!attcan!hjespers
AT&T Canada Inc.          or     ..!attcan!nebulus!arrakis

#include <std.disclaimer>

scott@attcan.UUCP (Scott MacQuarrie) (01/12/89)

In article <92@attibr.UUCP> vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
>I'm having a problem with my STARLAN and RFS software - it seems I have
>the wrong version(s) of something for 3.2.1.

Your problem is an incorrect version of Network Support Utilities. The
correct version to run under UNIX SYS V 3.2.1 or 3.2 (which are the same
thing) is NSU 1.2. This has an order code of 1041-502 (otherwise known as a
PEC code). This will solve the problem with running network software under
3.2.1 (or 3.2 :-) ).

--
     -------     Scott T. MacQuarrie
   -====------   Senior Technical Consultant, Toronto Branch, AT&T Canada

P.S. Opinions expressed are my own and represent neither statement nor
     policy of AT&T or AT&T Canada Inc.

djz@cbnews.ATT.COM (Danny Zerkel) (01/31/89)

In article <92@attibr.UUCP> vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
>I'm having a problem with my STARLAN and RFS software - it seems I have
>the wrong version(s) of something for 3.2.1.
>
>Under 3.2.1, the same software causes a PANIC. The message for the PANIC says
>something about kernel alignment.

There have been changes to STREAMS under 3.2.*, you need to get both
NSU 1.2 and RFS 1.2.

I justed checked RFS 1.2 out for compatibility with 1.1 and it works so
no need to upgrade all your systems either.

Danny J. Zerkel
AT&T Bell Labs
Columbus, OH  "A nice flat little city, but when the winds sweep in from
               South--the smell would kill a cow, which there are a lot of."