[comp.unix.questions] Disk Fragmentation, what to do?

xg00@bunny.UUCP (Xev Gittler) (01/18/89)

I'm running an Ultrix 2.2 Vax, and I noticed that there is quite a bit
of disk fragmentation. What I was wondering is, what kind of impact
does taht cause to system performatnce, and what can be done to lessen
disk fragmentation?

--
					Xev Gittler
					xg00@gte.com, or

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (01/28/89)

The best way of handling this problem (and the cheapest) is to just
tar-off the entire contents of the directories that are most fragmented.
Then remove all the files and restore the tape.

This has the effect of putting the files in contiguous areas on the disk.

It really works!

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (02/02/89)

In article <367@lilink.UUCP> mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>The best way of handling this problem (and the cheapest) is to just
>tar-off the entire contents of the directories that are most fragmented.
>Then remove all the files and restore the tape.

Would it not be more effective to run fsck -s before doing the restore?