[net.cooks] ?ground mole?

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (10/28/85)

None of my friends seem to know this one, either; so I thought I'd put
the question to my learned cooking colleagues.

Some of us here at work recently got the PACE (Piedmont Airlines Inflight
Magazine) because it had some award-winning Chile recipes in it.  One of
them decided to make one of the recipes last Saturday to use with much
beer as a football-watching aid.  He followed the recipe exactly except
that he substituted 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco for 1/4 teaspoon Durkee's Louisianna
Hot Sauce, and used 1/4 cup regular flour instead of 1/4 cup Masa Harina (only
available in 5-lb. bag).

The last exception was the omission of a small amount of ground mole.  Now,
neither of us are vegetarians, but we couldn't see catching some poor blind,
innocent rodent and putting him in the blender.  (A hamster we might have
done -- at least they're not blind  ;-) ).

Anyway, please respond via mail and tell me how you pronounce the word (like
the animal or with an accent over the 'e'?) and what the hell it is.  Also,
if you would like the chile recipe in question posted (it was EXCELLENT!),
write to me and given enough response I'll do so.

Thanks!
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (10/31/85)

>                                  He followed the recipe exactly except
>that he substituted 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco for 1/4 teaspoon Durkee's Louisianna
>Hot Sauce, and used 1/4 cup regular flour instead of 1/4 cup Masa Harina (only
>available in 5-lb. bag).

Masa Harina is corn flour with lime, appropriate for making tortillas
and the like.  Wheat flour probably won't do.

>The last exception was the omission of a small amount of ground mole ...
>
>Anyway, please respond and tell me how you pronounce the word (like
>the animal or with an accent over the 'e'?) and what the hell it is.

The word is Spanish, so the "e" at the end is sounded (molay).  But
mole is a sauce, not a spice.  It's made from chiles and unsweetened
chocolate - often the very hot poblano chiles.  (Mole poblano is a
*very* hot chicken dish.  The sauce is a dark brown, and doesn't taste
like it has chocolate in it - at least not the way most of us
chocoholics expect it.  Good, though!)  Maybe they meant ground
poblano?

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (10/31/85)

In article <909@burl.UUCP> rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>The last exception was the omission of a small amount of ground mole.  Now,

>Anyway, please respond via mail and tell me how you pronounce the word (like
>the animal or with an accent over the 'e'?) and what the hell it is.  Also,
Its a Mexican sause made with chocolate, and *NO* peppers.
Say:  MOE-lay
--

			John W

Name:	John F. Wardale
UUCP:	... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} !uwvax!astroatc!johnw
arpa:   astroatc!johnw@rsch.wisc.edu
snail:	5800 Cottage Gr. Rd. ;;; Madison WI 53716
audio:	608-221-9001 eXt 110

To err is human, to really foul up world news requires the net!