[comp.unix.questions] ULTRIX Command Line Editing in /usr/new/csh

rhysling@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Michael Rhysling) (02/07/89)

I've noticed some conflicting and inaccurate info being posted about
command editing in newcsh.  Since I started this whole mess, I guess
I ought to try to clear things up.

Newcsh does indeed offer extensive editing of past commands.  There
are several ways to do this.  If you press ESC as the first character
on a line, your last command is displayed and can be edited with a
subset of vi or emacs commands (depending on what your CSHEDIT environment
variable is set to).  Using the up and down arrow keys, you can scroll
through your history list.  Alternatively, you can use the ! character
and a new qualifier, :v, to recall and edit the last matching command.
For example, !cp:v retrieves the last cp command for editing.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Michael Rhysling
rhysling@tramp.colorado.edu

paul@prcrs.UUCP (Paul Hite) (02/08/89)

In article <6422@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, rhysling@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Michael Rhysling) writes:
> Newcsh does indeed offer extensive editing of past commands.  There
> are several ways to do this.  If you press ESC as the first character
> on a line, your last command is displayed and can be edited with a
> subset of vi or emacs commands (depending on what your CSHEDIT environment
> variable is set to).  Using the up and down arrow keys, you can scroll
> through your history list.  Alternatively, you can use the ! character
> and a new qualifier, :v, to recall and edit the last matching command.
> For example, !cp:v retrieves the last cp command for editing.

Uh, well Michael, none of this works for me:

Script started on Tue Feb  7 12:32:49 1989
<21> exec /usr/new/csh -f
% setenv CSHEDIT vi
% !set:v
Bad ! modifier: v.
%
script done on Tue Feb  7 12:33:27 1989

I also tried ESC as the first character and got only a beep.  We have source
code for Ultrix including /usr/new/csh.  I grepped for CSHEDIT and got nothing.
I rechecked the documentation for /usr/new/csh and found no mention of your
features.

We are using Ultrix 2.2.  Perhaps you have 3.0?  Or maybe you have a public
domain csh that has overlaid the Ultrix (non-)standard /usr/new/csh?  In any
event, I would love to know where your csh came from.

Paul Hite   PRC Realty Systems  McLean,Va   uunet!prcrs!paul    (703) 556-2243
                      DOS is a four letter word!