[net.cooks] "Mrs. Chiang's Szechwan Cookbook"

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (10/31/85)

In article <832@nmtvax.UUCP> shipman@nmtvax.UUCP writes:
>[...]
>CAVEATS:  You will need a few ingredients not available in most markets:
>tree ears, [...]
>--
>John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!shipman

Before anyone rush out to oriental grocery stores for those tree ears,
lemme tell you what they are: black fungus.  We chinese call any edible
fungus (besides mushrooms) "ears" ('coz they LOOK like ears that's why!)
"Tree ears" is a too literate translation; I had to think about for
a minute before I realize what it refers too.  By the way it's pronounced
"moog ee" in Cantonese, or "moo err" in Mandarin (?)

--
Henry Chai, just a humble student at the
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto