[comp.unix.questions] V.2 to V.3 migration guide

york@altger.UUCP (york) (02/19/89)

We are upgrading from UN*X V.2 to V.3. Thanx to the netlanders,
I have a lot of sources written for V.2. Is there any kind of
migration guide, to let them compile-link-and-run on System V.3 ?

Thanx on advance           uli

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (02/21/89)

In article <1399@altger.UUCP> uli@analyt.chemie.uni-bochum.dbp.de writes:
>I have a lot of sources written for V.2. Is there any kind of
>migration guide, to let them compile-link-and-run on System V.3 ?

You shouldn't have to change your sources, unless they were extremely
system-dependent (such as, snooping around in /dev/kmem).

You should at the earliest opportunity change any direct read()s of
directories to use the new directory access routines.  That will avoid
problems when you start using remote file systems.