[comp.unix.questions] PC-NFS Printing

ANNIEH@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Anne F Holderried) (02/16/89)

My apologies if I am posting to an inappropriate newsgroup, but this is my
first posting and I'm not sure where to post the following question.

I have installed a 22 node PC-NFS thin ethernet network; it is made up solely
of IBM XTs and uses a SUN 3/50 as a print server.  All features of the network
work fine with the exception of printing.

I am trying to print to an HP Laserjet II and haven't been successful in the
least.  Ocassionally, I may be able to get a very small ascii file to print
via NET PRINT but there is no consistency.  The worst nightmares are in trying
to print from within WordPerfect 4.2 - document formats are a disaster, if they
print at all!

I have looked in every direction (HP, WP, NFS) and tried every PC-NFS
configuration I can think of.

I have spoken to tech. support at SUN but they have been less than helpful.
Has anyone experience with PC-NFS that could possibly shed light on this
mess?  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...Anne

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (02/17/89)

/ comp.unix.questions / ANNIEH@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Anne F Holderried) / Feb 15, 1989 /
> I am trying to print [through PC-NFS] to an HP Laserjet II and haven't been
> successful in the least.  Ocassionally, I may be able to get a very small
> ascii file to print via NET PRINT but there is no consistency.  The worst
> nightmares are in trying to print from within WordPerfect 4.2 - document
> formats are a disaster, if they print at all!

This is the printcap we use for the same setup.  It works with WordPerfect
(5.0, at least).

hp-lj2-config|Any HP LaserJet II:\
        :sh:sf:\
	:fc#0000374:\
	:fs#0000003:\
	:xc#0:\
	:xs#0040040:\
	:mx#0:
laser3-config|HP LaserJet II:\
	:lp=/dev/ttyA5:\
        :br#9600:\
	:lf=/usr/spool/lp/laser3/error_log:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lp/laser3/spool:\
	:tc=hp-lj2-config:
laser3-raw|Raw HP LaserJet II configuration suitable for PC-NFS:\
	:tc=laser3-config:

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,att}!nucsrl!gore

HBN%UNB.CA@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/20/89)

   I have also had problems with PC-NFS - I think other people
have too. The Network File System part works well but the
printer driver doesn't. It sometimes prints the file on the PC
screen instead of the network printer. Apparently Sun knows
of this problem.

Hubert B. Newman
University of New Brunswick
Electrical Engineering Dept.
Fredericton N.B. Canada

Bitnet: HBN@UNB.CA

Disclaimer: The above opinions are mine.

draper@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Dave Draper) (02/21/89)

We are running a similar setup here. About 15 XT clones tied into
an Encore UMAX running BSD 4.2  We are using version 3.0 of PC-NFS.

We too have run into printing problems. Multimate Advantage II will
not print correctly. Wordstar 2000 Plus will not even run on an NFS
drive. (drive D: or above)

We have been in touch with different people (I do not think it would
be fair to mention names since we are working on getting the problem
resolved) and soo far have had no luck. About the best thing I can
say to do is to have the file sent to a ascii text file instead of
a printer and then use net print to print that out.

Dave Draper                        Boston University Corporate Education Center
UUCP: decvax!elrond!bu-tyng!draper         72 Tyng Road,  Tyngsboro   MA  01879
Internet: draper@bu-tyng.bu.edu                              (508) 649-9731 x14

robert@PVAB.SE (Robert Claeson) (02/22/89)

In article <498@bu-tyng.bu.edu>, draper@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Dave Draper) writes:

> We are running a similar setup here. About 15 XT clones tied into
> an Encore UMAX running BSD 4.2  We are using version 3.0 of PC-NFS.

> We too have run into printing problems. Multimate Advantage II will
> not print correctly. Wordstar 2000 Plus will not even run on an NFS
> drive. (drive D: or above)

> We have been in touch with different people (I do not think it would
> be fair to mention names since we are working on getting the problem
> resolved) and soo far have had no luck. About the best thing I can
> say to do is to have the file sent to a ascii text file instead of
> a printer and then use net print to print that out.

I've also run into these problems. When trying to print something from
a normal word processor on a PC to an HP LJII connected to an UNIX server,
I often get some garbage characters before the actual data. And the
beginning of the document is often garbled as well.

I think that PC-NFS uses the printing routines from Locus' PC-Interface
software. What does it do differently from, say, Novell Netware or 3Com's
3+Net, since those networks always seems to handle network printing
"right"?

--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden

Tel:   +46 758 202 50              EUnet:    rclaeson@ERBE.SE
Fax:   +46 758 197 20              Internet: rclaeson@ERBE.SE