[comp.unix.questions] Wait, signal

sureshk@hubcap.UUCP (Suresh C.H. Kumar) (02/25/89)

hello,
	please, excuse me if you find this posting inappropriate to
this group. I was not able to decide to which newsgroup should I send
this.

	Anyway, I would appreciate if anyone out there can tell me the
dutch words for WAIT & SIGNAL that start with P & V respectively. I am
trying to answer this question posed by my Prof. in an Operating System
course.

	Please, Serious answers only!!!!

	my E-MAIL ADDRESS: sureshk@hubcap.clemson.edu

	Thanking all of you who will respond.

		Have a good day.

sbulchan@oracle.uucp (Sanjay Bulchandani) (02/25/89)

This is with reference to SureshK's question on semaphores.

P is short for pakken (seize).

V is short for vrygeven (release).

The y in vrygeven should have  two-dots (an umlaut ?) above it.

Sanjay
   Sanjay A. Bulchandani    INTERNET:	sbulchan%oracle.com@apple.com
                            UUCP    :	apple!oracle!sbulchan

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (02/26/89)

> This is with reference to SureshK's question on semaphores.
>
> P is short for pakken (seize).
>
> V is short for vrygeven (release).
>
> The y in vrygeven should have  two-dots (an umlaut ?) above it.

A common way to represent this in ASCII is "vrijgeven".

Dave

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (03/01/89)

In article <10650044@hpisod2.HP.COM> decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
>> This is with reference to SureshK's question on semaphores.
>> P is short for pakken (seize).
>> V is short for vrygeven (release).
>> The y in vrygeven should have  two-dots (an umlaut ?) above it.
>A common way to represent this in ASCII is "vrijgeven".

"vrijgeven" is not just a common way to represent this in ASCII, it IS
the correct spelling for the word. Dutch has no "y" with 2 dots above it,
though many people think so.

Paul.

(PS: yes, dutch is my native language.)

|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

hans@duttnph.UUCP (Hans Buurman) (03/01/89)

In article <8983@alice.UUCP> debra@alice.UUCP () writes:
>"vrijgeven" is not just a common way to represent this in ASCII, it IS
>the correct spelling for the word. Dutch has no "y" with 2 dots above it,
>though many people think so.
>
>Paul.
>
>(PS: yes, dutch is my native language.)

Zoiets :-).

There is a combination of i and j, written together, though. It is present
on Dutch typewriters and such. It looks like:

	o	o

	|	|
	|	|
	|	|
	\_______/

	\_______/

so like a u with umlaut and a descender.
Followup to comp.lang.dutch please.

	Hans

Hans Buurman                   | hans@duttnph.UUCP
Pattern Recognition Group      | mcvax!hp4nl!dutrun!duttnph!hans
Faculty of Applied Physics     | tel. 31 - (0) 15 - 78 46 94
Delft University of Technology |