[comp.unix.questions] modem login and call back on the same line

nejdl@vexpert.uucp (Wolfgang Nejdl) (02/23/89)

We have a Hayes compatible 2400 baud modem connected to a MicroVax II (Ultrix
2.0) and use it for remote login. Now we want to add an automatic callback
facility, which would allow us to call the modem, hang up, and be called back
some minutes later.

Does anybody have such a configuration running? (We could also use SUN386i's,
if this would make any difference.
--
Wolfgang Nejdl                                  nejdl@vexpert.uucp
Technical University of Vienna                  vexpert!nejdl@uunet.uu.net

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (03/06/89)

In article <1770@vexpert.uucp> nejdl@vexpert.uucp (Wolfgang Nejdl) writes:
>Now we want to add an automatic callback
>facility, which would allow us to call the modem, hang up, and be called back
>some minutes later.
>Does anybody have such a configuration running? (We could also use SUN386i's,
>if this would make any difference.

I wrote a callback script, hacked on it for a week, got it working.  It
is the dirtiest, ugliest set-uid shell script ever written.  It has an
ed script to edit /etc/ttys, does a kill -HUP 1, echos junk at the
modem port, and basically violates all security guidelines, rules, and
regulations.  It works.

I asked usenet twice for a PD ct(1) program, got no answers.  If someone
out there has since written one, it should *definitely* be posted to
comp.sources.misc.  My script gets the job done here, but I won't post
it to the net.
--
-Mitchell F. Wyle                         wyle@ethz.uucp
Institut fuer Informationssysteme         wyle@inf.ethz.ch