[comp.unix.questions] application/numeric keypad with vi

dan@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Dan May) (03/09/89)

Can someone tell me how to keep vi from changing the numeric keypad to
the "application keypad" when vi is entered.  The terminal type is
a televideo 9220.

			Thanks
			   Dan May

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (03/09/89)

In article <1246@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> dan@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
(Dan May) wrote:
>Can someone tell me how to keep vi from changing the numeric keypad to
>the "application keypad" when vi is entered.  The terminal type is
>a televideo 9220.

Check your termcap entry.  Make sure the 'disable numeric keypad mode'
(ke) escape sequence isn't in the initialization string (is).  If
necessary, change the ke sequence to be the same as the ks sequence,
and your keypad will always transmit numbers, no matter what the
application tries to make it do.

You can experiment with a private copy of the termcap entry by setting
the TERMCAP environment variable to the name of the file that holds
your entry.

A similar approach will work on a system that uses terminfo.

	Chuck Karish	karish@denali.stanford.edu
			hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish
			(415) 493-7277

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (03/09/89)

>Can someone tell me how to keep vi from changing the numeric keypad to
>the "application keypad" when vi is entered.  The terminal type is
>a televideo 9220.

This may be a "vi-naive" answer, but how about removing the "ks" and "ke"
capabilities from the tv9220 termcap entry?  Better still, create a
"tv9220-vi" entry which mimics tv9220, except with the ks/ke capabilities
removed--then you don't munge tv9220 for the rest of the world.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh@marob.masa.com