[net.cooks] Chinese whole fish query

shipman@nmtvax.UUCP (11/03/85)

I've only had Chinese whole fish twice, once at the original
Chef Chu's in Mt. View, CA, and once at Hunan in Santa Fe, but
it was great both times.  Chef Chu's book has the right recipe,
"Shanghai Braised Whole Fish".

My problem is that the recommended fish (rock cod or red snapper)
is not available in this small town.  Can anyone suggest an
appropriate substitution?  Would frozen fish work?  The only thing
I could find that looked reasonable was frozen whole catfish.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!shipman

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (11/07/85)

In article <850@nmtvax.UUCP>, shipman@nmtvax.UUCP writes:
> I've only had Chinese whole fish twice, once at the original
> My problem is that the recommended fish (rock cod or red snapper)
> is not available in this small town.  Can anyone suggest an
> appropriate substitution?  Would frozen fish work?  The only thing
> I could find that looked reasonable was frozen whole catfish.

Try the "Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook" (author's name forgotten).
It's available in paperback and reasonably priced. Along with numerous
recipes of wide variety (I've yet to have a failure) there are good discussions
of such matters as what kind of fish the various cooking techniques work
well with. The major drawback is the relative shortage of the spicier
cuisines (Hunan, Xichuan, etc.) but what is covered is covered well.
I'd recommend this for inclusion in the category of fail-safe cookbooks
as per the recent discussion.