[net.cooks] Pumpkin pie

sam (11/15/82)

                            Mom's Pumpkin Pie

       The following recipe is one that my mother has gotten her
       share of praise for around this time of year.  I suspect
       that to give her full credit for it is unjust, but she
       doesn't know where it came from.

                        Lower filling ingredients

       8 oz.     cream cheese
       1/4 cup   sugar
       1/2 tsp   vanilla
       1         egg
       1         9" unbaked pie shell

                         Main filling ingredients

       1 1/4 cup   canned pumpkin
       1/2 cub     sugar
       1 tsp       nutmeg
       1/4 tsp     ginger
       1 tsp       cinamon
       dash        salt
       1 cup       evaporated milk
       2           eggs slightly beaten

       LLLLoooowwwweeeerrrr ffffiiiilllllllliiiinnnngggg

       Combine softened cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and mix well.
       Add the egg and mix in well.  Pour into shell.

       MMMMaaaaiiiinnnn ffffiiiilllllllliiiinnnngggg

       Mix all the ingredients for the main filling.

       FFFFiiiinnnnaaaallll ppppiiiieeee

       Pour the main filling onto the cheese filling.  [Note: It is
       my understanding that this is the only tricky part to this
       recipe.  This pie should come out with two distinct and
       uniform layers.  To get this pour the main filling very
       carefully around the outer edge; this will prevent the
       cheese from being pushed about in too unpredictable a
       fashion.] Bake at 350 F for 65 to 70 minutes.

	Doug
	(...!houxf!sam)

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) (10/30/85)

How do you cook a pumpkin? We tried the method in Joy of Cooking, and
after more than 2 1/2 hours at 325F the flesh still was not very soft.
They said to cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and strings,
and bake the remaining stuff for about one hour at 325. At this point
it should be soft enough to put through a strainer. BUT after 2 1/2
hours it still had to be "blended" before it would go through easily.

medley@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/31/85)

I've been using the method in the Joy of Cooking for years, and it works
perfectly EXCEPT when I get a stringy pumpkin.  I put the flesh of the
pumpkin through a ricer or food mill which I found at an antique shop a
number of years ago. (It's just like my mother's!)  Anyway, it seems
that some pumpkins are of a different consistency than others, and never
become as mushy as you might like.  I have used both kinds of pumpkins
in many pies and they have all been excellent, however, so try it anyway.

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (11/01/85)

Keywords:Cheat when you are cooking and no one is looking

In article <308@watmum.UUCP> tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) writes:
>How do you cook a pumpkin? We tried the method in Joy of Cooking, and
>after more than 2 1/2 hours at 325F the flesh still was not very soft.
>They said to cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and strings,
>and bake the remaining stuff for about one hour at 325. At this point
>it should be soft enough to put through a strainer. BUT after 2 1/2
>hours it still had to be "blended" before it would go through easily.

Wanna faster way?
OK. Slice the punkin like you would a canteloupe. Take out the seeds.
Get a BIG POT. Get your steamer. Fill the pot with ..oh.. 2" of water.
Put the slices in the pot (chop them up if need be). Boil like hell
for 1/2 hour with the lid on. Put in more water if you have to to keep
it from scorching.

Remove. Cool. Peel AFTER cooking. Much easier. Throw it in a blender.
Just because Joy of Cooking says to strain the punkin doesnt mean you
cannot take a high tech route. (The wrote the book pre-cuisinart!)

I freeze the stuff that I do not use. If you are worried that a non-baked
punkin will be too watery for pie, add 1 teaspoon of flour to the batter.

*****
The Cuisine Queen

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (11/01/85)

In article <308@watmum.UUCP>, tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) writes:
> How do you cook a pumpkin? We tried the method in Joy of Cooking, and
> after more than 2 1/2 hours at 325F the flesh still was not very soft.
> They said to cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and strings,
> and bake the remaining stuff for about one hour at 325. At this point
> it should be soft enough to put through a strainer. BUT after 2 1/2
> hours it still had to be "blended" before it would go through easily.

I cooked it for an hour at 350, cut the flesh off the skin (no it wouldn't
scoop like you would expect from a cooked squash) and threw the pieces in
a food processor, let them sit there for a good long time, and wound up
with pumpkin puree.  I didn't bother to strain in because it looked so thick
that I would be all day at it.  Maybe that's why the pie had a sort of grainy
consistency.  It was good, anyway.

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (11/04/85)

> How do you cook a pumpkin? We tried the method in Joy of Cooking, and

This is mopre or less from the _Good_Housekeeping_Cookbook_.
I.e., I read it a year ago and used it then. I simply did it
from memory this year.

Clean out the insides and seeds. Cut the pumpkin into pieces
(about like you would for boiling potatoes to be mashed, size
depends a lot on the size of pot you have). Put pumpkin in a
large stew/canning pot. Add 2 to 4 inches of water. (I used
more than I'd have liked this year, about 6 inches.) Cover
with a lid. Cook for an hour or two, until the pumpkin on top
is soft. Remove from heat and remove the lid. When cool enough
not to burn yourself, remove pieces from the pot (be careful,
they will be VERY mushy) and peel. This is very easy, but use
a knife so you don't waste too much pumpkin.

I mashed the pumpkin with a wire whip and stored it in freezer
bags. Two cups per bag. Cooked pumpkin freezes nicely.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

rusty@sdcarl.UUCP (rusty c. wright) (11/05/85)

I suspect that making pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkin tastes no better
(or marginally better) than pumpkin pie made from regular canned
pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie filling).  Pumpkin has such a bland
and unassuming flavor (the smell reminds me of the baby food i fed to
my brother when i was a kid).  I guess i figure that all that work
just isn't worth it.  Sort of like making your own tomato paste or
something.  Also, grocery stores carry canned pumpkin all year long.
--
	rusty c. wright
	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!rusty

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (11/05/85)

> How do you cook a pumpkin? We tried the method in Joy of Cooking, and
> after more than 2 1/2 hours at 325F the flesh still was not very soft.
> They said to cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and strings,
> and bake the remaining stuff for about one hour at 325. At this point
> it should be soft enough to put through a strainer. BUT after 2 1/2
> hours it still had to be "blended" before it would go through easily.

We have had the same problem.  Some pumpkins are not the "pie" kind, and
will never get tender.  Something that has sped up cooking squash is
to place it cut side down on the pan with a little water on the pan.
That usually takes about 1/3 of the cooking time off.  Still, we seem
to get better results cutting it up and steaming it rather than baking.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (11/07/85)

> I suspect that making pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkin tastes no better
> (or marginally better) than pumpkin pie made from regular canned
> pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie filling).

Not True! Commercially canned pumpkin makes okay pies. Fresh
pumpkin makes GOOD pies.

> ... Also, grocery stores carry canned pumpkin all year long.

This IS a redeeming value for commercially canned pumpkin.

jimmy@scgvaxd.UUCP (j l [D[D[D[DJ L Raisanen) (11/08/85)

In article <308@watmum.UUCP> tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) writes:
>How do you cook a pumpkin? We tried the method in Joy of Cooking, and
>after more than 2 1/2 hours at 325F the flesh still was not very soft.
>They said to cut the pumpkin in half, remove the seeds and strings,
>and bake the remaining stuff for about one hour at 325. At this point
>it should be soft enough to put through a strainer. BUT after 2 1/2
>hours it still had to be "blended" before it would go through easily.

I'm sure there are more ways than one to cook pumpkin.  The only way
that I've tried seems to work pretty well.

Cut the pumpkin into small hunks and trim off all of the skin.
place the pieces in a steamer, and steam them for about 30 minutes,
or until you can easily insert a fork.  Puree the pumpkin in your
blender and it's ready to go! (Keeps great in the freezer too!)

	   JLR

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (11/08/85)

In article <259@sdcarl.UUCP>, rusty@sdcarl.UUCP (rusty c. wright) writes:
> I suspect that making pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkin tastes no better
> (or marginally better) than pumpkin pie made from regular canned
> pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie filling).  Pumpkin has such a bland
> and unassuming flavor

You can make pies from almost any winter squash. Treat them like pumpkin.
The pies have about the same taste and texture. Most other winter squash also
tends to come in smaller and more manageable sizes.