[comp.unix.questions] running VAX-unix binaries under VAX-vms

system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) (03/17/89)

Is it possible to take a binary from a VAX running 4.3bsd and
get it to run on a VAX running VMS?  If so, how?

Marc Lesure / Arizona State University / Tempe, AZ
"Between the world of men and make-believe, I can be found..."
"False faces and meaningless chases, I travel alone..."
"And where do you go when you come to the end of your dream?"

UUCP:                ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!lesure
Internet/CSNET/ARPA: lesure@asuvax.asu.edu

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (03/21/89)

In article <621@asuvax.asu.edu> system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) writes:
>Is it possible to take a binary from a VAX running 4.3bsd and
>get it to run on a VAX running VMS?  If so, how?

>Marc Lesure / Arizona State University / Tempe, AZ
>UUCP:                ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!lesure
>Internet/CSNET/ARPA: lesure@asuvax.asu.edu

No. The OS calls are not compatible. Forget it, or write a
Unix-emulator on top of VMS, which is probably theoretically
impossible.

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (03/22/89)

In article <54309@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>In article <621@asuvax.asu.edu> system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) writes:
>>Is it possible to take a binary from a VAX running 4.3bsd and
>>get it to run on a VAX running VMS?  If so, how?

>No. The OS calls are not compatible. Forget it, or write a
>Unix-emulator on top of VMS, which is probably theoretically
>impossible.

One way to demonstrate that something is not theoretically impossible
is to do it. :-)

You can obtain a product named Eunice from The Wollongong Group, which
is precisely a Unix-emulator on top of VMS.  There is even a newsgroup
for it, comp.os.eunice.  It can run at least some bsd Vax binaries
unchanged; I am uncertain what all the restrictions are (for example,
hard links don't work, and a few annoying things are subtly different,
but it's quite remarkable how well it works).

TWG also provides TCP/IP and NFS for VAX/VMS.  I have no connection
with them other than as a former customer.  Older versions of Eunice
were really horrible (I know: I wrote the Eunice code for 2.11 news),
but from the 4.3 version on it's amazing what a complete emulation of
4.3bsd you get.

(By the way, those things in Larry Wall's Configure scripts that talk
about Eunice: they don't work.  Sorry, Larry).

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (03/22/89)

In article <2990@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>You can obtain a product named Eunice from The Wollongong Group, which
>is precisely a Unix-emulator on top of VMS. ...

It is interesting to note that there is a Unix emulator for VMS, but
there is no VMS emulator for Unix%.  This means one of three things:
either (a) it is impossible; (b) it is undesirable; or (c) both.

-----
% Unless you count the `VMS DCL emulator' that showed up in one of the
trade rags a while ago.  There was a screen printout that showed something
like the following:

	$ DIR/FULL/SHOW=(OWNER,GROUP)/DATE/TIME/PHASE-OF-MOON/RUSHDIE
	%FOO-I-HITHERE, equivalent Unix command is `ls'

followed by a directory listing.  Alas, the equivalent command was
really `ls -l'.

terryl@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (03/23/89)

In article <54309@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>In article <621@asuvax.asu.edu> system@asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) writes:
>>Is it possible to take a binary from a VAX running 4.3bsd and
>>get it to run on a VAX running VMS?  If so, how?
>
>No. The OS calls are not compatible. Forget it, or write a
>Unix-emulator on top of VMS, which is probably theoretically
>impossible.

     Gee, you'd better not tell the Eunice folks that. After all,
they've had a Unix-emulator running on top of VMS for quite some
time now (like, many years).

      But, in answer to Mr. Lesure's original question, yes it is
possible.