[net.cooks] apple recipes

mah@akguc.UUCP (A. Hitchcock [Anne]) (10/08/85)

Someone had requested apple recipes on the net recently, here
are just a few.

	FRESH APPLE LOAF

4 cups peeled, chopped apples (your favorite)
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Combine apples, pecans, and sugar; mix well.  Let stand for
1 hour, stirring often; do not drain.

Combine flour, soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl; add apple
mixture, stirring well.  Stir in butter, vanilla, and eggs.

Spoon the batter into 2 greased and floured 1-pound coffee cans.
Tie a 2-inch band of foil around top of cans.  Bake at 325 degrees
for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
center comes out clean.  Let cool in cans 10 minutes; remove from
cans to complete cooling.   Makes 2 loaves.

	HOULIHAN'S APPLE STRUDEL PIE

6 or 7 green tart apples (preferably Greening or Pippin)
juice of 1/2 lemon, strained
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup dark currants
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
1 9 or 10-inch unbaked pie shell

Topping:
1/3 cup (3/4 stick) butter, room temperature
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Peel and slice enough apples
1/4 inch thick to make 6 cups.  Place in large bowl and toss
with lemon juice.  Add sugars, currants, flour and spices.  Toss
lightly to distribute evenly.  Add water and butter and toss again.
Pile evenly into unbaked pie shell.

For topping:  Using 2 knives, cut butter into flour until
mixture is crumbly.  Gently mix in sugars and spices.  Pile
lightly over apples, covering top completely.  Bake 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 325 degrees and continue baking 1 hour.  Remove
pie from oven and allow to cool slightly.

For glaze:  Combine ingredients and mix until smooth.  Drizzle
over warm pie.

Cool completely before serving.

	  SOUR CREAM APPLE PIE

2 tablespoons flour       2 cups finely chopped apples
1/8 teaspoon salt         1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup sugar             1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 egg, unbeaten           1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup sour cream          1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla        1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Line a 9-inch pie plate with favorite pie crust.  Finish edges
as desired.  Refrigerate until needed.

Mix flour, salt and the 1/2 cup sugar.  Add egg, sour cream,
vanilla extract and nutmeg.  Beat to a smooth batter.  Stir in
chopped apples.  Pour mixture into prepared crust.  Bake at
400 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue
baking 30 to 40 minutes.

While pie is baking, combine remaining ingredients for topping.
Remove pie from oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees.
Sprinkle topping over pie and bake 10 minutes longer.

pmr@sdchema.UUCP (Pat M. Rule) (10/10/85)

In article <7621@akguc.UUCP>, mah@akguc.UUCP (A. Hitchcock [Anne]) writes:
> [...]
> 1/8 teaspoon salt         1/4 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup sugar             1/4 cup light brown sugar
> 1 egg, unbeaten           1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1 cup sour cream          1/4 cup butter
> 1 teaspoon vanilla        1/3 cup flour
> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
>
> Line a 9-inch pie plate with favorite pie crust.  Finish edges
> as desired.  Refrigerate until needed.
>
> Mix flour, salt and the 1/2 cup sugar.  Add egg, sour cream,
> vanilla extract and nutmeg.  Beat to a smooth batter.  Stir in
> chopped apples.  Pour mixture into prepared crust.  Bake at
> 400 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue
> baking 30 to 40 minutes.
>
> While pie is baking, combine remaining ingredients for topping.
> Remove pie from oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees.
> Sprinkle topping over pie and bake 10 minutes longer.
These recipes are wonderful -- are they original or are they
from a special cookbook.?

rusty@sdcarl.UUCP (rusty c. wright) (10/12/85)

In article <460@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> pmr@sdchema.UUCP (Pat M. Rule) writes:
> [...]
>> 1/2 cup sugar             1/4 cup light brown sugar
>> 1 egg, unbeaten           1 teaspoon cinnamon
>> 1 cup sour cream          1/4 cup butter
>> 1 teaspoon vanilla        1/3 cup flour
>> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
>>
>> Line a 9-inch pie plate with favorite pie crust.  Finish edges
>> as desired.  Refrigerate until needed.
>>
>> Mix flour, salt and the 1/2 cup sugar.  Add egg, sour cream,
>> vanilla extract and nutmeg.  Beat to a smooth batter.  Stir in
>> chopped apples.  Pour mixture into prepared crust.  Bake at
>> 400 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue
>> baking 30 to 40 minutes.
>>
>> While pie is baking, combine remaining ingredients for topping.
>> Remove pie from oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees.
>> Sprinkle topping over pie and bake 10 minutes longer.
>These recipes are wonderful -- are they original or are they

why do boneheads include the ENTIRE article when doing a followup?
--
	rusty c. wright
	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!rusty

In article <460@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP>, pmr@sdchema.UUCP (Pat M. Rule) writes:
>In article <7621@akguc.UUCP>, mah@akguc.UUCP (A. Hitchcock [Anne]) writes:
>> Someone had requested apple recipes on the net recently, here
>>[100 LINES OF STRAIGHT QUOTE DELETED]
>> Sprinkle topping over pie and bake 10 minutes longer.
>These recipes are wonderful -- are they original or are they
>from a special cookbook.?

Why, why, WHY do people do this?!?!?!?
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

steph@graffiti.UUCP (stephanie da silva) (10/14/85)

Apple Pie Cake

1/4 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
2 1/2 cups diced apples
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. hot water

Combine ingredients in order given. Press batter into a greased 9" round
pie pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm with whipped
cream or ice cream.

kimv@dartvax.UUCP (Kim 'Ro' Vasel) (10/26/85)

Sorry it took me so long to get around to this, but here are two
apple recipes, straight from grandma's kitchen:

                Spicy Apple Muffins

2 c.    Flour
4 t.    Baking Powder
1/2 t.  Salt
1/2 t.  Cinnamon
1/2 t.  Nutmeg
1/3 c.  Melted Shortening (atleast half butter recommended for flavor)
1/4 c.  Sugar
1       Egg
1 c.    Milk
1 c.    Chopped Apple

Sift together dry ingredients.  Add rest of the stuff all at once,
mix until just moist (do not overmix), and spoon into well greased
muffin tins.  Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.  Bake in a 400 degree
oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

                Apple Brownies

1 c.    Flour
1/2 t.  Baking Powder
6 T.    Butter (3/4 stick)
1       Egg (beaten)
1/2 t.  Soda
1/2 t.  Cinnamon
1/2 t.  Salt
1/2 c.  Walnuts (chopped)
1 c.    Sugar
3 med. or 2 large apples, chopped fine

Cream butter, salt, sugar and egg.  Mix in apples and nuts.  Sift flour
baking powder, soda and cinnamon together and stir in apple mixture.
Bake in greased 7 x 11" pan, at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

I hope you all enjoy these!

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (11/11/85)

A while ago there was a posting that contained several appler recipes.
I HAD a copy of this until I accidentally blew it away one morn'

So, if anyone saved this, I'd rather have 10e6 copies than none

	Thanks in advance
--

			John W

Name:	John F. Wardale
UUCP:	... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} !uwvax!astroatc!johnw
arpa:   astroatc!johnw@rsch.wisc.edu
snail:	5800 Cottage Gr. Rd. ;;; Madison WI 53716
audio:	608-221-9001 eXt 110

To err is human, to really foul up world news requires the net!