[comp.unix.questions] Need help with password aging

sscott@camdev.UUCP (Steve Scott) (03/16/89)

Hello, netlanders....

As a major security overhaul within my company, the issue of password aging
has raised its head.  So, I am in need of advice on how to implement such.

We have machines which are Sys V/BSD 4.x (HP/UX) compatible.  We also have
Apollo machines running BSD4.2.  I guess that I could write shell scripts
that "lock out" folks every ninety days and FORCE them to change passwords.

But I was wondering if any generic public domain solutions exixt

--
Steve Scott            UUCP: {killer|texbell}!camdev!sscott
Motorola, Inc.         Telephone : 1-817-232-6317

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (03/17/89)

In article <179@camdev.UUCP>, sscott@camdev.UUCP (Steve Scott) writes:

> As a major security overhaul within my company, the issue of password aging
> has raised its head.  So, I am in need of advice on how to implement such.

It is far from clear to me that password aging accomplishes much.
Its usual effect is to cause people to toggle between two similar
passwords.  I don't believe for an instant that such toggling
will make passwords any harder to guess, break, or acquire.

On the other hand, it would be a real good idea to lock out any
logins that aren't used in some sensible time period, like a month.
--
				--Andrew Koenig
				  ark@europa.att.com

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (03/18/89)

In article <9059@alice.UUCP>, ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
> It is far from clear to me that password aging accomplishes much.
> Its usual effect is to cause people to toggle between two similar
> passwords.  I don't believe for an instant that such toggling
> will make passwords any harder to guess, break, or acquire.

Password aging makes it *much* easier to guess passwords.  Not only
do people tend to toggle between a two passwords, they toggle between
two *bad* passwords because the timing is so terrible.

There you are, sitting at your terminal, thinking about getting
something done today.  You enter your current password and SLAP,
you can't do *anything* until you think of a password RIGHT NOW.

This rude awakening is not conducive to picking a good password.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc. / Santa Ana, CA / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / friedl@vsi.com  / {attmail, uunet, etc}!vsi!friedl

"I think, therefore I'm a yam." - me

<
< > As a major security overhaul within my company, the issue of password aging
< > has raised its head.  So, I am in need of advice on how to implement such.
<
< It is far from clear to me that password aging accomplishes much.
< Its usual effect is to cause people to toggle between two similar
< passwords.  I don't believe for an instant that such toggling
< will make passwords any harder to guess, break, or acquire.

Toggling can be defeated by storing all past passwords for each user.
--
Daniel R. Levy             UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy
AT&T Bell Laboratories

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (03/18/89)

In article <3275@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>Toggling can be defeated by storing all past passwords for each user.

A cure worse than the disease.

gordon@sneaky.TANDY.COM (Gordon Burditt) (03/20/89)

Password aging doesn't have to be quite so detremental to password security
as "SURPRISE!  You have to pick a new password RIGHT NOW!".  The solution
to this problem is to provide a "checkpwage" program, which you encourage
users to put in their .profile or .login files.  (And new users should get
a skeleton file that includes that.)  The user should be able to specify how
much advance warning of password expiration is wanted.  The program would run
silently unless the password was about to expire, then issue a warning like
"Your password will expire at the end of Friday, April 3.  Please change your
password soon."  Also, another option on "checkpwage" should let the user
find out when the password expires at any time.  (In systems not using
shadow password files, this information is available anyway, but in a
difficult-to-use form.  "checkpwage" probably shouldn't make it convenient
to find out when someone else's password is due to expire.)

This will not completely eliminate the SURPRISE! problem.  Since Sys V
password aging is based on weeks, most users would want a 1-week warning,
so if they don't log in for a week, they could get surprised.  Users going
on vacation could check before leaving, if they happen to think of it.

This scheme will probably encourage users to switch between two
carefully-thought-out passwords instead of switching between two
hastily-made-up passwords.

If you want to fix that, keep records of a few old passwords *IN ENCRYPTED
FORM*, and don't allow re-use.  I don't agree with a previous poster who
claims that this is a cure worse than the disease.  Encrypted passwords
that don't work anyway aren't that much of a risk, and there is no reason to
make them widely readable.  This will encourage the user to switch between
several passwords, probably the same password with a variable field for the
month that changes each time.  This might be slightly more secure than
switching between two passwords.  A few security-conscious users, hopefully
including the administrator, might actually think up good passwords.

The original poster said that "the issue of password aging had come up".
This is a good description:  password aging is much more of an issue than
it is a solution to anything.

					Gordon L. Burditt
					...!texbell!sneaky!gordon

whh@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) (03/21/89)

In article <8656@sneaky.TANDY.COM>, gordon@sneaky.TANDY.COM (Gordon Burditt) writes:
> If you want to fix that, keep records of a few old passwords *IN ENCRYPTED
> FORM*, and don't allow re-use.  I don't agree with a previous poster who
> claims that this is a cure worse than the disease.  Encrypted passwords
> that don't work anyway aren't that much of a risk, and there is no reason to
> make them widely readable.  This will encourage the user to switch between
> several passwords, probably the same password with a variable field for the
> month that changes each time.  This might be slightly more secure than
> switching between two passwords.  A few security-conscious users, hopefully
> including the administrator, might actually think up good passwords.

The problem that this scheme presents is that: If the file of old passwords
is broken, then the *pattern* of password picks for a given account may be
discernable.  While this is not useful for breaking the account of someone
who picks really *good* passwords--effectively random--this is not the general
case.  If you doubt this, go read Kahn's "The Codebreakers" on the subject
of Soviet one-time pads.

  Hal Heydt                             |    Money is the root of all
  Analyst, Pacific*Bell                 |    evil--and a man *needs*
  415-645-7708                          |    roots.
  whh@pbhya.PacBell.COM

pss@unh.UUCP (Paul S. Sawyer == paul) (03/21/89)

In article <3275@ttrdc.UUCP>, levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:

> Toggling can be defeated by storing all past passwords for each user.
> --
> Daniel R. Levy             UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy
> AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 5555 West Touhy Avenue     Any opinions expressed in the message above are
> Skokie, Illinois  60077    mine, and not necessarily AT&T's.

OK, assuming this is true, and assuming I have decided to do so, how do
I implement this in my AT&T binary licensed System V, release 2.1.2?  Is
there a /etc/.passwdrc or such file for setting such an option?  A
tunable system parameter?  ( add only 1/2  B-)  (Yes, I DO know how to
implement password aging, but I see it as Not a Good Thing...)

At some time, in the NEAR future, binary licensees should be able to
get source code for some of the *basic* utilities for which modification
is needed to improve system security, beginning with /bin/login
and /bin/passwd;  I know that alternatives are available, but I would
rather start with the "official" vendor supplied programs and take
responsibility for any changes, than to guess as to whether a third party
or self-written version of such a program is implemented "right" - we are
dealing with setuid root programs, after all.  I do not need, want, nor
can we afford a complete source license...

--
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (03/21/89)

In article <3275@ttrdc.UUCP>, levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:

> Toggling can be defeated by storing all past passwords for each user.

Yes indeed.  Then the users have to tack a sequence number onto
their passwords.  Meanwhile it gets slower each time you change
your password and there's a file sitting around that people would
just love to steal.
--
				--Andrew Koenig
				  ark@europa.att.com

jgn@nvuxr.UUCP (Joe Niederberger) (03/21/89)

In article <9059@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>In article <179@camdev.UUCP>, sscott@camdev.UUCP (Steve Scott) writes:
>
>> As a major security overhaul within my company, the issue of password aging
>> has raised its head.  So, I am in need of advice on how to implement such.
>
>It is far from clear to me that password aging accomplishes much.
>Its usual effect is to cause people to toggle between two similar
>passwords.  I don't believe for an instant that such toggling
>will make passwords any harder to guess, break, or acquire.

It seems to me that the next logical step would be to force the user
to invent totally new passwords (relative to his/herself of course)
at each password change. But then, wouldn't the effect be to
exacerbate the existing tendency of users to choose easily remembered
passwords, which themselves present a security risk ? Does anybody
have any statistical evidence that forcing password changes actually
enhances security ?

Joe Niederberger

dpw@lemuria.usi.com (Darryl P. Wagoner) (03/22/89)

This is really something that should be done in login(1) and passwd(1)
commands.  If you don't have a shadow password file then use a
password aging file.  I don't like time warnings as much as I do
notices. ie: you have X logins to change your passwd otherwise login
will forces you to change.

There is also other games you can play like expire the password if
more than X attempts have been made on that account.  Or a password
aging based upon the number of valid logins.  You get the idea.

The other thing that passwd(1) do is to check the passwd against a bad
passwd file and gcos data then reject the passwd if it matches over
X percent.

As far as keeping a history of old passwords, that one is a hard call.
I don't think that you would gain enough to make it worth while.

--
Darryl Wagoner		(home) dpw@lemuria.uucp or wagoner@imokay.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp; 	OS/2, Just say No!

jay@hqda-ai.UUCP (Jay Heiser) (03/28/89)

I haven't seen any mention of it yet, but Kochan & Wood have an
excellent text out called "UNIX System Security".  Hardbound, its
approx $35 & seems to be available in many computer bookstores.  If
your OS supports aging, then this is a must buy.

When I inherited a 1000 user + Office Automation system, I also
inherited approximately 500 identical passwords.  They called it the
'default password'.  It wasn't easy, but I talked them out of
assigning those.  I still have MANY group logins that are shared by OA
innocents.  Although that is ausdrucklich verboten, there isn't much I
can do to catch it.

Password aging works very well on both of those problems.  System VR2
& VR3 force users to choose at least 6 chars, at least one of which is
non-alpha, certain number of characters must differ from the old one,
etc.  Aging isn't permanent, but it appears to be the best solution
for this site.  Now, if OFFICEPOWER only supported it, we'd have
something.

(WARNING: many applications, such as CCI's OFFICEPOWER, not only don't
support it, they defeat it.  OP actually deletes the aging info for
ALL users from the passwd file.)