[comp.unix.questions] Same questions again and again.... Sigh!

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/27/89)

In article <TALE.89Mar25015020@ts.its.rpi.edu>, tale@its (David C Lawrence) writes:
>$cwd
>works just fine for people who don't care where they REALLY are in
>the directory tree (ie, those who never bother with .. ).  However,
>for those of us who do use .. as a convenient shorthand way to move
>around directories, $cwd doesn't cut it.

Yes it does, if your csh supports

	set hardpaths

I know SunOS has it. Don't know who originated it.
		==========================
Someone really ought to post a once a month article with an expiration
date a month away answering all of these questions that keep showing up
every other month...

Anyone who can dedicate a little time and effort can do this. Maybe it
wouldn't give every *possible* variation (i.e. shell prompts, undoing rm)
but it could keep those same questions from popping up every so often,
spuring on those dozens of follow-on articles that seem to clog the
wizard/question newsgroups.

With the same Subject line in the regular postings, the regular
readers could Kill that subject automatically, making everyone's life
easier.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett@steinmetz.ge.com>

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (03/28/89)

 >Yes it does, if your csh supports
 >
 >	set hardpaths
 >
 >I know SunOS has it. Don't know who originated it.

Glenn Skinner of Sun Microsystems did.  It's not in 4.3BSD's or
4.3-tahoe's "csh".

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (03/29/89)

>Yes it does, if your csh supports
>
>	set hardpaths
>
>I know SunOS has it. Don't know who originated it.

In article <1305@auspex.UUCP> guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
guy> Glenn Skinner of Sun Microsystems did.  It's not in 4.3BSD's or
guy> 4.3-tahoe's "csh".

The original respondent was replying to my reply to someone else's
reply which set to use $cwd (nice sentence, that).  SunOS 4.0 supports
it in csh, but tcsh (3.9 beta 1, Ohio-State) is my shell and it
doesn't support it.

Dave
--
      tale@rpitsmts.bitnet, tale%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu, tale@pawl.rpi.edu